VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submitting New Items At C&p Exam

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello Veterans,

I have a C&P exam this thursday for lumbar disability claim, and since all the evidence has been submitted. I would like to be rated under IVDS due to doctor's letter stating that I had 10-12 weeks of prescribed bed rest over the past year. This due to incapacitating episodes from a damaged nerve root in my back. Can I submitte this letter to the doctor at examination and ask to be rated this way or will he rate me the highest of the two methods anyway?

Also, I submitted copies of the operating room reports for each of the lumbar surgeries. Do I have to file seperately for the convalescence benefit that follows each of the surgeries.

Nervous Blackbird

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It's already determined by the VA what the examination is for. Very unlikely the examiner would change the reason for the exam.

If exam is for back problem you can't come in with a request to have the exam changed to something else.

I would show the doctor the letter though and maybe he put this in his report as related to your lumbar disability claim. May add weight to the rating.

DH

Hello Veterans,

I have a C&P exam this thursday for lumbar disability claim, and since all the evidence has been submitted. I would like to be rated under IVDS due to doctor's letter stating that I had 10-12 weeks of prescribed bed rest over the past year. This due to incapacitating episodes from a damaged nerve root in my back. Can I submitte this letter to the doctor at examination and ask to be rated this way or will he rate me the highest of the two methods anyway?

Also, I submitted copies of the operating room reports for each of the lumbar surgeries. Do I have to file seperately for the convalescence benefit that follows each of the surgeries.

Nervous Blackbird

Hi Blackbird,

I submitted extra evidence at my C & P, as I had read you could do.

Not a bad idea to ensure that it makes it to your claim. I have a request in with the VA Regional Office to view my C-file (medical records) before they rate my claim.

The 2nd Q I can't help with.

All the best! :P

Hello Veterans,

Nervous Blackbird

BB,

1)

YES - as long as it's not 30 or 40 pages of document's, your C&P examiner will probably accept this additional information - so at least take copies to leave with the examiner.

If the examiner does not want to accept it you can not force them to - BUT you can state you feel some of this has not made it to your c-file yet and you would like it in the record for consideration.

2)

The examiner does not produce a rating,that is done by the decision maker at VARO.

The examiner has instructions to follow and hopefully they have the correct instructions

and will do so.

3)

In my opinion, convalescence benefits are a completely different claim from a

claim for SC disability and will need to be applied for separetly.

jmho,

carlie

BlackBird - Please note that as carlie stated the doc does not determine your rating as it is done by the VARO who is processing your claim.

You can give the doc the report if he/she wants it. They might include it in your exam write up or they may not. However, it does not hurt to offer it to he/she.

NOW PLEASE REMEMBER THIS - ALL EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM MUST BE SUBMITTED DIRECTLY TO THE VARO BY YOU OR YOUR SERVICE OFFICER IF YOU HAVE ONE. THE DOC IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ACTION EVEN IF HE/SHE TAKES A COPY OF THE REPORT.

GET THE THING IN THE MAIL TO THE VARO ASAP.

Sorry to appear to be screaming at you but this is a very, very, important fact about an action of which the responsibility lies directly on your shoulders my friend.

Just my opinion and of course I may be wrong but if you have the time to go to the VAMC you can take the records to the release of information office and tell them you have a C & P exam on Thursday and ask could they scan the records into the computer system or could they place the records in your VA medical files. If they say yes, make sure they give you a stamped copy. You can always try to give a copy to the C & P doctor but there would be no proof that they (your evidence) would make it back to the VARO or you can mail them to the VARO. What ever you do make sure you keep a copy of them.

I think the convalescence claim would be separate

Just my opinion and of course I may be wrong but if you have the time to go to the VAMC you can take the records to the release of information office and tell them you have a C & P exam on Thursday and ask could they scan the records into the computer system or could they place the records in your VA medical files. If they say yes, make sure they give you a stamped copy. You can always try to give a copy to the C & P doctor but there would be no proof that they (your evidence) would make it back to the VARO or you can mail them to the VARO. What ever you do make sure you keep a copy of them.

I think the convalescence claim would be separate

pete - the records department will not accept any outside medical records from the vet for inclusion into the VA medical records system.

If the C&P doc does accept them he MAY SLIP them into the CFile before it is returned to the VARO but he will not file them in the VA medical records system.

Edited by Clown Man