VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu And Early Retirement?

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

The postal service is offering early retirement. I'm 4 years, 8 months, 2 weeks and 5 days from initial eligibility for regular retirement. That would be my 56th birthday.

Even with the bonus they're pitching, it's not like I could live on the early retirement alone. The monthly amount is small, and probably alot of it would go to keep health and life insurance for my family's sake.

I am 90% SC now and could well end up TDIU at some point. Does anyone have any information on whether I would be successful in filing for TDIU if I voluntarily took early retirement?

USPS is a madhouse and getting worse all the time, magnified by my mental issues, and not helped by my physical ones. I want out badly, just have to be realistic.

I think the bump from 90 to 100% and possibly the tuition for my sons college (currently costing upwards of 7500 a year and not likely to go down)could make it barely feasible - if I would be eligible.

70% PTSD

50% bilateral hearing loss

10% tinnitus

10% otitis

10% L knee injury

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It would help if the reason you took the early retirement was because of your service connected PTSD and hearing loss. ;)

• HadIt.com Elder
It would help if the reason you took the early retirement was because of your service connected PTSD and hearing loss. ;)

If you are taking early retirement cause you doubt that you can make the 4 years + I think it would help. Sometimes people are offered early retirement before they get laid off. I don't know but you have to really take a good look of where you are.Its not like you know that if you take early retirement that you will get TDIU.

Good Luck