VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Rating (sc)...do You Have To Disclose To Employer?

Rate this question

MDB1968NM

Question

Hi everyone,

If this is not the right area then Mods please move this.

If someone is applying for a job after military retirement and they are disabled (SC), does that have to be disclosed to the employer?  The reason I ask is that many govt jobs ask if you are applying for preference.  Would the employer need to know what your disabilities are, OR, would they just have to know your rating percentage if that?

I would think that some employers might hold having a disability against the potential job seeker in certain instances.  Has anyone had any direct experience with this?

Thanks for the information in advance!

;)

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

lol, old topic alert

• HadIt.com Elder

lol, old topic alert

I agree 'Vync'. However we may be surprised how much it still applies today. Lots of people looking for work. ADA or not ,many disabled workers are still getting kicked to the curb.

Some of the new vets with PTSD have mentioned that they do not want to mention their active duty service during a job interview, for fear of being rejected.

Edited by Commander Bob

I just did a little bit of research on this subject about employment

with the Dept of Homeland Security in Customs and Border Protection.

Here's some copy and paste with some links.

Being that they will for sure check out your military background - they will more likely

than not also find out that you are a SC'd disabled veteran.

This in and of itself might not be a problem - but if you are asked to disclose it anywhere and don't

that may go against your credibility and trustworthiness.

JMHO

One of the forms specifically address mental health issues and the other one for a Secret Security Clearance

says

" Applicants for a secret security clearance must agree to a release of information including background checks, credit checks, and medical history checks. These checks are necessary to ensure that the applicant has no outstanding debt or health problems that could compromise the ability to keep information secret."

Security Clearance for Customs & Border Protection

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is an agency of the Homeland Security Department. It describes its primary mission as "keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the U.S.," but it's also responsible for enforcing drug laws, stemming illegal immigration and facilitating legitimate travel and trade. With all these duties, CBP personnel must have access to sensitive national security information--and, therefore, they need security clearances.

Read more: Security Clearance for Customs & Border Protection | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1OjqnCmnP

Background Check

• All potential CBP employees are required to undergo a background check. Investigators will look at your criminal record, if any, your credit history and legal documents pertaining to such things as bankruptcies, divorces and civil lawsuits. Your citizenship will be checked, your past residences and employment will be verified, and you will be checked for associations with "undesirable individuals or foreign nationals." Neighbors, co-workers and even ex-spouses may be interviewed. Once the check is complete, CBP will make a determination as to whether you are suitable for employment. "Suitability," however, does not mean you qualify for a security clearance. That's a different process.
    Applicants will complete the SF 86, the Questionnaire for National Security Positions.

- - - - - - - - -

http://www.ehow.com/...procedures.html

• Many jobs in the United States Federal Government require security clearances. There are three official security clearances, confidentail, secret, and top secret. Obtaining a security clearance can open up many job possibilities and can also allow a job prospect to command a higher salary. The secret security clearance is the second-highest clearance. These clearances can often take several months to a year to be approved.

• In order to obtain a secret security clearance, each applicant must complete forms sf-86 and fd-258. The sf-86 forms asks the applicant about different information from the past seven years. Form fd-258 requires the applicant to submit their fingerprints.

• Secret Security Clearance applicants must provide all of their residences for the past seven years. The applicant must indicate the length of time, including months and years, living in each residence. Included in the residence information, the applicant must list one person that he or she had a relationship with while living there. Depending on who reviews the application, the person listed on the form may be sent a letter, get a phone call, or in some cases even receive a visit from the investigator. The person listed will be asked to answer some general questions about the applicant.

Education

[*]An applicant for a secret security clearance must fill out any school attended in the past seven years. The applicant must include the school name, address, degree completed, and someone he or she had a relationship with while enrolled at the school. This person will be contacted by the investigator by mail, phone, or sometimes in a face-to-face meeting.

Employment

[*]Each applicant must list all jobs he or she has held in the past seven years, or going back to their eighteenth birthday. The applicant must also include any period of unemployment. Each job must be verified by the employer and a supervisor's name must be given.

Authorization for Release of Information

Great info thanks so much!

I was under the assumption that the VA and the Military are 2 seperate things.. I Seperated under Honorable Conidtions not a medical discharge.

So if they check my military background nothing would be there..

Also they can not check your Medical records unless you consent to it..Also If i dont list the hospitals i have been to or the conditions i have.. how can they check my Medical Records? Where would they look?

The thing is i didnt apply as a disabled Vet.. and i wasnt when i first applied to years ago.. i just recently got rated.. So i didnt ly when i applied..

I just did a little bit of research on this subject about employment

with the Dept of Homeland Security in Customs and Border Protection.

Here's some copy and paste with some links.

Being that they will for sure check out your military background - they will more likely

than not also find out that you are a SC'd disabled veteran.

This in and of itself might not be a problem - but if you are asked to disclose it anywhere and don't

that may go against your credibility and trustworthiness.

JMHO

I agree 'Vync'. However we may be surprised how much it still applies today. Lots of people looking for work. ADA or not ,many disabled workers are still getting kicked to the curb.

Exactly.. Some of the new vets with PTSD have mentioned that they do not want to mention their active duty service during a job interview, for fear of being rejected.

I currently work for the Federal gover.. and with many verterans.. Many of them do not disclose they have PTSD.. Many of them do not even apply as disabled Vets. for fear of being rejected..

my opinion: If you do not apply as a disabled Vet, You dont need Accomadations, You can pass the physical Requirments and there is no Obvious Disablity..

There should be no need to disclose..unless you want too..

I agree with Rshen. An example should explain. Lets say a woman Vet has a disability based on MST. Would she be required to tell a potential employer if she was raped in the service? I dont think so. Or, would she even have to use the term "MST"? I know Vets who have PTSD, but you dont know it. They dont want to talk about it..for them, talking about it is a "trigger". This is America and the VA doc's cant "waterboard" or torture Veterans into disclosing illnesses, not legally, anyway. This would include the threat, "If you dont disclose your PTSD before we hire you, we can fire you" There is a difference between lying on your application and exercising your choices on what to disclose. We simply do not have to answer every question presented to us. While an employer could view this as a cantankerous attitude, the employee/applicant also has a choice of whether or not to sue an employer for asking irrelevant, and possibly embarrassing or even illegal questions. I dont even think its legal for an employer to ask you if you are a homosexual, for example.

There is a privacy act...we dont even have to sign a form releasing medical information to the VA. Its optional. I think we should rememeber this, when the VA no doubt wants us to think they have to know every single thing about us, whether or not its related to the disability compensation we are seeking. Of course, the Va is going to make the decision on the information available, and, if the Veteran elects not to sign a release of Information to the Va, he can expect the VA to make a decision on his claim without that information. The VA has to stick its nose in just about every aspect of a Veterans business, and not just health care, either. They expect to know our income, and even its source, to apply for certain benefits.

Frankly, I am appalled at the VA's nosy attitude, especially in light of the fact there have been multiple instances when the VA failed to keep Veterans private information private.

There are things an employer can not ask a potential employee.

We really are entitled to a private life, and many of us do not want to be put under a microscope and to be used for teaching, or whatever purposes the VA or an employer sees fit.

Trust me, I know about office settings and if a Vet had PTSD or MST, there is a good chance that details of it would be leaked to persons (s)he would prefer not to know this.

I am familiar with other disability forums and the general consensus is when applying for a job, the applicant should have the choice whether or not to disclose physical or mental disabilities. If there is a question on the application form "Do you have a disability", I think a person can elect not to answer that question, and not be excluded from consideration based upon his reluctance to answer that question.

Some disabilities are "hidden" in that people not afflicted with them are unlikely to notice. And many disabled people prefer to keep it that way. There is simply no law requiring people to wear a T shirt with details about their disabilities.