VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay.

Rate this topic

The VA West LA Calif went to a check system for paying travel claims over $50 dollars.

at my last (and the first claim since this new policy went into affect)visit to the west LA hospital I went to travel and put in for my travel money and and the cashier. They said i would get my check in week and a half that was Aug 26

its now Sep 18 and still no check.

Anyone else having to wait for them to send your travel money and how long does it take.

I am 10% service connected and 90% pension disabled.

Anyone know who i complain to if the check does not show up by my next appointment on oct 30

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible, VA could do anything. In the past all my C & P exams were on Saturday and the travel office was closed so I had to fill out a form and my checks were mailed to me. I found out it was better to get C & P exams during the week because you have a better chance to get a doctor that knows something about C & P exams and takes the time to review your records. So I started having all my C & Ps during the week. Still found some that didn't know diddly-squat about C & P exams and didn't care to review your records but it has been better for me. I think I read somewhere that you have 30 days to file for your travel pay or appeal a denial of travel pay so if I were you I would call the VAMC travel pay office Monday morning to check on the status of that missing check.

Good luck and let us know

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess that is to limit the amount of cash on the premises. You are entitled to Travel Pay as a Pension Veteran for any thing the VA treats you for.

My suggestion is to call the VA Hospital and ask them what's up? Use a 800 number on any prescription bottle hit 0 when you get them and ask for Travel Pay.

The VA West LA Calif went to a check system for paying travel claims over $50 dollars.

at my last (and the first claim since this new policy went into affect)visit to the west LA hospital I went to travel and put in for my travel money and and the cashier. They said i would get my check in week and a half that was Aug 26

Anyone else having to wait for them to send your travel money and how long does it take.

Anyone know who i complain to if the check does not show up by my next appointment on oct 30

I know if you are at an outreach clinic, or a va branch off clinic, you sign a travel voucher slip, they fax it to the VAMC and the travel personnel there usually get your travel pay mailed to you within a week to 10 days. At the VAMC hosp I have never heard of limits to the amounts being paid. Just always have to get a travel slip signed by the unit where you had your appointment and take it to the travel window where they print a voucher form, you sign, and take to the travel window and give it to them and receive your cash, minus your co-pay for the first 3 visits in that month, and if more than 3 visits to that hosp for appts no further copays are taken out, but only during A 30 DAY PERIOD. Also the info given here is right concerning the 30 day rule to receive your travel pay. None after 30 days post appt.

The clinics do not have any money there to pay anyone. They do not have financial personnel there. Their objective and are staffed for appointments/care/labs etc only.

Try Pt Advocate or the dept head of business or accounting office to investigate this.

Edited by halos2

Most to all my appointments at the VAMC no longer print up travel pay sheet/slips. They tell me that it is all in the computer and I have to go to the travel office/window. I was told that they had several veterans come to the VAMC receive their travel pay and did not keep their appointment. This could be very true if you have an appointment at 10:30 and you find out that the doctor can't see you until 1:00 because he/she is running late. Then you find out the only reason they are running late is because they came to work late but they are still going to make you wait and not be seen by another doctor but the travel office is the correct place to start. No need to spin your wheels harder just ask them what 's going on.