VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Urgent Help Needed! Ptsd & Bipolar Claim

Rate this question

sandboxvet

Question

Hello fellow Veterans, I'm in a bit of a crunch here and in need of some advice. I'm rated 50% for PTSD and 10% for my back. I live in Germany and am dealing with the VA Pittsburgh.

My BVA certification is dated March 2008. The appeal was for an increase denial of PTSD. Reason for the appeal was that they thought I was employed full-time and taking online college courses at the time of examination. This was not true. I had lost my job a few months prior and quit my courses around the same time. Also, they stated that the examination took place in Sept 2007 and it realls took place July 2007. After recieving the SOC, I wrote a letter to them (with evidence) correting their errors. I then recieved a letter that the case was submitted to the BVA. So, I went with the flow and hired an attorney, not realizing how long this process would take.

Since the BVA certification I have been diagnosed by a US military doctor with Bipolar on top of the PTSD. They quickly started me on Klonipin, anti-psychotic, and anti-deppresant medication. Directly before this, I had been treated by a German psychologist that kept prescribing anti-deppresants through my GP. I told him in every sassion that I was feeling worse and worse and that I thought wqe should change the medicine. He insisted that I was fine and NOT Bipolar. My mother is Bipolar and I reported that to him. Suddenly, I had my first manic episode that resulted in my wife aborting my child because the parnoia led me to believe that I couldn't trust anyone and I dissapeared for 3 months. This is when my fear of doctors (especially psychologist) started. So it was directly after the manic episode that I went to the military doctor. My wife and I were back together.

The medication was still not making me feel any better. I had calmed down due to the benzos, but didn't feel better. My GP kept prescribing me the medication as I wouldn't go to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Instead a went to a neurologist <_< I started breaking down again late 2008. Since the Americans wouldn't see me, I was admitted to a German Army Hospital (the best here). My first stay was for 6 weeks and they started me on 5 medications. My nightmares had substantially subsided and I felt ready to leave. 3 weeks later I was brought back by the police- I won't get into why. This stay was for 5 weeks and I was now taking 7 different medications.

After my release it was time to talk to the job center to find employment. Unfortunately, they deemed me unemployable (not being able to work 3 hours a day) and temporarily retired me til summer next year. We thought that we could wait it out til early next year, but that's now impossible. I got the messege today that my BVA claim will take 2 more years! I've been unemployed for 2 and simply can't cut it any longer.

Here are my questions:

Should I let the BVA case ride for the PTSD and submit my Bipolar claim to the VA? What are my chances with the Bipolar claim and how long will it take? I know the VA Pittsburg is under investigation for delaying claims and hope that it willvhelp.

Or should I drop the BVA case (losing 2 years worth of potential money) and submit the PTSD and Bipolar together and hope for 100%, if not TDIU?

I'd like to know what my best chances are at getting TDIU Asap.

That's all. Sorry about the length, I just wanted to make sure everything was covered B)

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet