VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request For Reconsideration

Rate this question

Rich W

Question

I sent a request for reconsideration to the VRO and got a confirmation letter, at least I think it's a confirmation letter. I'm a little concerned or maybe it's paranoia. The letter stated the following:

"We have received your application for benefits. It is our sincere desire to decide your claim promptly.However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed. We are now in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or information is needed." The rest goes on with the normal stuff.

The concerning part of the letter is the first part and no where did they state this being a request for reconsideration. Should I be concerned or is this just an automated letter sent? I guess if they process this as a new claim and get the effective date wrong I can appeal.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I get one of those about every other month. It's automated but it can be good as it prompts them to look at your file. Kind of like a reminder.

dh

I sent a request for reconsideration to the VRO and got a confirmation letter, at least I think it's a confirmation letter. I'm a little concerned or maybe it's paranoia. The letter stated the following:

"We have received your application for benefits. It is our sincere desire to decide your claim promptly.However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed. We are now in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or information is needed." The rest goes on with the normal stuff.

The concerning part of the letter is the first part and no where did they state this being a request for reconsideration. Should I be concerned or is this just an automated letter sent? I guess if they process this as a new claim and get the effective date wrong I can appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you made your request of reconsideration did you print it in caps across the top of page one? Sometimes if it is not very clear the VA will interpret it as a NOD. Now you provide "new" evidence for the reconsideration. I think if you have new evidence it is a good step. If it fails then you file your NOD and ask for a DRO Hearing. If that fails then off to the BVA. However, I have gotten two DRO Review/Hearings on the same claim. The review was denied. I asked for a hearing and it was granted and I won my claim. I don't know if this is normal but it worked. If it was me I would try and stay at the VARO and just keep providing more evidence until you win.

I agree, keeping your claim at the local level is best.

dh

When you made your request of reconsideration did you print it in caps across the top of page one? Sometimes if it is not very clear the VA will interpret it as a NOD. Now you provide "new" evidence for the reconsideration. I think if you have new evidence it is a good step. If it fails then you file your NOD and ask for a DRO Hearing. If that fails then off to the BVA. However, I have gotten two DRO Review/Hearings on the same claim. The review was denied. I asked for a hearing and it was granted and I won my claim. I don't know if this is normal but it worked. If it was me I would try and stay at the VARO and just keep providing more evidence until you win.