VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Year Did Va Start Sending 21-8940s Out?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It looks like they started in May of 1992 as the control date on the previous form states.

There may have been a different form in use before that but I am not sure,

J

Good question-I was a vet center volunteer in the 1980s and we never used the term TDIU at all.

There were 100% SC vets in the combat rap group but the concept of TDIU was never discussed and I don't recall hearing of TDIU until Prodigy vets BBS in the 1990s.

• HadIt.com Elder

I never heard of TDIU until I came to Hadit in 2002. It seems to be a VA secret. I bet there are lots of guys out there with 50% rating who are on SSD and have never been told about TDIU because they don't meet the percentage the VA clings too so tightly.

I am not sure what year the 8940 was first published but before it the 527 was used for unemployability claims. It is only used for pension clams now.

It looks like they started in May of 1992 as the control date on the previous form states.

There may have been a different form in use before that but I am not sure,

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Interesting question and answers. I found one strong possibility!

Where? I found employability questions on my old form 21-526. Section 22a-25e if vet claimed to be 'totally disabled.' Then there was more information needed, income and all. Pension and compensation terms seem 'blurred for the unitiated' (dang, that was well put, eh?!). Ok, the new form doesn't look much better, cgho.

The way I figure it, the initial claim 21-526 was intended to collect information on a veteran request for any and all compensation and pension or just one thing. The instructions that I read are clear as mud. However, I have found no 21-8940 in those days or a clear way of applying for unemployability assistance.

Cowgirl'

*aka'Mrs.King (so woulda loved to been Scarecrows sidekick! blush)

Edited by cowgirl