VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cervical Radiculopathy C&p Question

Rate this question

ArmyTexas

Question

Would anybody know what this may rate? The reg seems to give a vague rating criteria.

Remarks from C&P:

Cervical Radiculopathy: "grip of the right hand is reduced by 30%, the left 20%. Tendon reflexes at the elbows are trace;at the wrist they are absent. There is deminished sensation to pinprick of the lateral part of both upper arms, both lower arms, and both hands. There in no clonus." IMPRESSION: "DDD of the cervical spine with multilevel disk protrusion with cord compression and foraminal compression, severe disability with progression and no response to treatment"

Thanks,

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They rate the nerves effected.

If it is the inside of the thumb outside of the forefinger then it is the Median Nerve.

If it is the outside of the hand, Pinky and ring Finger then it is the Ulnar Nerve.

The ratings for the perephial nerves in 4.71 will give you a clue. The C&P examiner did state severe so it should be a fairly high rating.

Yours should bilattarel with both arms and hands being effected.

I have a 20 percent for the median nerve. If it were right arm then it would be 30.

The Major arm will get the higher rating with the minor getting less.

J

Thanks for the info. I guess know I just have to wait and see what the outcome is. I was surprised that he put severe for that and at the same time same that my headaches WERE NOT from my Cervical problem. I just hope that they will actually read and use my Neurosureon's opinion that the Radiculopathy and my headaches are more than likely form the neck probs.

They rate the nerves effected.

If it is the inside of the thumb outside of the forefinger then it is the Median Nerve.

If it is the outside of the hand, Pinky and ring Finger then it is the Ulnar Nerve.

The ratings for the perephial nerves in 4.71 will give you a clue. The C&P examiner did state severe so it should be a fairly high rating.

Yours should bilattarel with both arms and hands being effected.

I have a 20 percent for the median nerve. If it were right arm then it would be 30.

The Major arm will get the higher rating with the minor getting less.

J

I would guess that if they rate you at severe radiculapothy under diagnostic code 8510, you should get 40% for major hand and 20% for minor. It probably won't be that easy. You might have to get a IMO saying these conditions are "more likely than not" caused by injury during your military service. Now let's talk about your DDD of the cervical spine. Are you rated for that? They should rate your spine separately. Sounds like your ROM should be limited if you are having all of these problems. If you are getting a lot of headaches. This condition could be causing them also. You need to go to a neurologist to chceked out for all your symptoms.

Good luck and let us know what they low ball you with!

Thanks for the info. I did see a Neurosurgeon and he wrote an opinion on both the Radiculopathy and the headaches saying that they "more than likely" caused from the DDD in the neck. He used the rationale of reviewing Military records and tied in the X-rays from milutary and MRI. I definately know they will try and low ball but, on my end I tried to make it bullet proof. then again the VA probable has Armor peircing rounds. The ROM was 5 degrees in any direction. Doctor even stated that my neck spasmed the duration of the ROM procedure.

I would guess that if they rate you at severe radiculapothy under diagnostic code 8510, you should get 40% for major hand and 20% for minor. It probably won't be that easy. You might have to get a IMO saying these conditions are "more likely than not" caused by injury during your military service. Now let's talk about your DDD of the cervical spine. Are you rated for that? They should rate your spine separately. Sounds like your ROM should be limited if you are having all of these problems. If you are getting a lot of headaches. This condition could be causing them also. You need to go to a neurologist to chceked out for all your symptoms.

Good luck and let us know what they low ball you with!

well, looks like the end is near. Called the DAV today and found out that the rating decision was made today. She said to call back Wednesday and she should be able to view it. I also called the 800 number today and they said the decision was made today and it's going into authorization. I'll let you all know what up.

submitted Jan 2, 2009

C&P's Aug/Sep 2009

Rating board Nov 09

outcome ??????