VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Return-to-work Program Denied

Rate this question

darkhorse

Question

Hello,

I just received a letter today denying Voc Rehab because of the severity of my mental disability but I was granted Individualized Independent Services.

She also stated she sent a letter to VA claims adjudication informing them I didn't qualify for Voc Rehab due to mental illness.

Question number 1 is: Has anyone here have any experience with this program (independent living services)?

Question 2: Will this help with my TDIU claim?

Thanks for any comments,

dh

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

For ILP I have made a request for things I need that will help with my independent living.

1. A new set of pots and pans and knives since I like to cook.

2. A new Apple computer since I want to learn graphic design

3. A new orthopedic mattress to help with insomnia

4. Walls painted a more vibrant color to help with depression

What are my chances of getting this through the ILP program?

DH

I have had experience with ILS. In my case is was a joke. You might be able to get a computer out of it. It is really just a pretend sort of program. The letter from Voc Rehab saying you don't qualify is good evidence for IU. I did that also before I got IU. I was still working for the post office and looking for a way out, but voc rehab had nothing to offer me due to my age and disabilites.

• HadIt.com Elder
For ILP I have made a request for things I need that will help with my independent living.

1. A new set of pots and pans and knives since I like to cook.

2. A new Apple computer since I want to learn graphic design

3. A new orthopedic mattress to help with insomnia

4. Walls painted a more vibrant color to help with depression

What are my chances of getting this through the ILP program?

DH

ILP is different from one RO to the next, you are being to reasonable based on the fact you were denied a education that would have cost the VA thousands per year.

You like to cook....ask for cooking classes, or you kitchen redone with the latest appliances.

A computer is good, along with Graphic design classes.....But you could do this yourself.

A good orthopedic mattress is good.......but you could get this yourself.

Painted walls are ok, But again you could get this done on your own.

Bottom line here is, focus on the item that is most important to you. I to went down this road and let the VA off with a 2K computer....dont get me wrong, it was needed and I did not do my homework on this ILP before hand , so I took what was offered.

There was a CVA case on here some time ago where the Vet liked to paint, or photography......the VA was happy to provide the paint materials and some classes.........the vet also wanted a enclosed glass addition so he could paint......The VA said hell no it would cost 30k....CVA said hell yes and the VA had to build it.

It never hurts to ask for what you want, you can always appeal......but stay focused on the thing you realy cant afford but will in your opinion help you the most.......some say you only get one shot at this, I dont know the answer yet, but I will be testing the waters again in the future.

Edited by JR Reihs

ILP is different from one RO to the next, you are being to reasonable based on the fact you were denied a education that would have cost the VA thousands per year.

You like to cook....ask for cooking classes, or you kitchen redone with the latest appliances.

A computer is good, along with Graphic design classes.....But you could do this yourself.

A good orthopedic mattress is good.......but you could get this yourself.

Painted walls are ok, But again you could get this done on your own.

Bottom line here is, focus on the item that is most important to you. I to went down this road and let the VA off with a 2K computer....dont get me wrong, it was needed and I did not do my homework on this ILP before hand , so I took what was offered.

There was a CVA case on here some time ago where the Vet liked to paint, or photography......the VA was happy to provide the paint materials and some classes.........the vet also wanted a enclosed glass addition so he could paint......The VA said hell no it would cost 30k....CVA said hell yes and the VA had to build it.

It never hurts to ask for what you want, you can always appeal......but stay focused on the thing you realy cant afford but will in your opinion help you the most.......some say you only get one shot at this, I dont know the answer yet, but I will be testing the waters again in the future.

Thanks JR, I'm in a rental so I think getting new appliances won't be feasible but I like to cook but I'm lacking on Cooking utencils and neccessities. A nice set of pots and pans can run $200 and I can't afford it. A nice set of German cooking knives can cost over 100 bucks too.

My computer i'm on now is 6 years old and is a PC. I need a Mac if i'm going to learn Graphic Design. I'm wondering if the VA will comp a new computer since it's necessary for this?

I know I can get a mattress myself but I can't afford a $1500 mattress and I know I could get better rest if I had an orthopedic mattress. I have a mattress now thats dented in the middle from the last person that owned it. It has bed bugs too.

I have a home assessment soon so I will see how that goes. Just in the meantime I want to know what to request to make my life a little better here at home.

dh