VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Back Pain With Arthritis. All I Get Is Ibuprofen And Motrin

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember asking for Vioxx and the VA gave me morphine instead. Morphine is cheaper. One used to be used as anti-inflammatory and the other is major narcotic. What were they thinking?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John999...that statement you made about the vioxx vs morphine makes me think that THEY were on drugs at the time... :)

As far as my pain mgt doctor, he is very good IMO.  He LISTENS.  He is VERY strict and has my best interests at heart.  We have treated my issues VERY conservatively IMO and the nerve shots are the last step in achieving the reduction I am looking for.  I would hope, that all pain mgt doctors are similar but obviously they are not.  As far as costs go...being on active duty, I didnt pay too much attention to the tricare statements.  I just happened to see what my last appt cost (statement came in the mail today) and it was a whopping $84.00.  For ME that is not too expensive even if some reason I had to see him on my own.  For others that may be very expensive....to me either way it is worth it.

Bob....25 is very young...I am 16 years older.  They very well may be concerned for your health with regards to long term narcotic type drugs.  If you have not had this done already, you may want to consider having your PCM delve into your situation more...(current radiological studies, neurologist referral, and even pain mgt).  I wish you the very best and truly hope you can find some relief to your pain!

John999...that statement you made about the vioxx vs morphine makes me think that THEY were on drugs at the time... :)

As far as my pain mgt doctor, he is very good IMO.  He LISTENS.  He is VERY strict and has my best interests at heart.  We have treated my issues VERY conservatively IMO and the nerve shots are the last step in achieving the reduction I am looking for.  I would hope, that all pain mgt doctors are similar but obviously they are not.  As far as costs go...being on active duty, I didnt pay too much attention to the tricare statements.  I just happened to see what my last appt cost (statement came in the mail today) and it was a whopping $84.00.  For ME that is not too expensive even if some reason I had to see him on my own.  For others that may be very expensive....to me either way it is worth it.

Bob....25 is very young...I am 16 years older.  They very well may be concerned for your health with regards to long term narcotic type drugs.  If you have not had this done already, you may want to consider having your PCM delve into your situation more...(current radiological studies, neurologist referral, and even pain mgt).  I wish you the very best and truly hope you can find some relief to your pain!

Some of the posts below are spot on. I filled a claim for DDD and a few other things regaridng to my back a few years ago. VA Dr, only wants to treat with pain meds and TENS Pack. When i went to a local Ortho clinic on my former companies insurance policy, the prescribed rehab, after that faliled they did a steroid injection and are ready to continue treating it more aggressivley. So the point about VA doing it cheaply is correct. i wouldn

't wait around for the VA to act on your best behalf. The Dr. gets paid regardless if he does nothing or goes the distance for you.

Matt

• 3 months later...

i have chronic back pain with arthritis. how do i get out of the ibuprofen crap and get some pain pills that work? i have a therapy ap. on the 29th for my back. i asked last time for tramadol b/c a friend gave me a couple and it helped a lot. the doc told me i was to young for pain pills and prescribed celebrex which the VA wouldnt fill.

what do i need to do or say to get relief!

thanks

I have chronic pain in my neck ( From C6-C7 ) from prior neck fusion and DDD (10% ) and the VA gives me naproxen or ibuprofen. I have taken Celebrex from my own DR. and I have to say that Celebrex works great for me. Better than the other pills for sure. The VA told me Vioxx and Celebrex are on there list as meds they do not handle due to reports of problems..

• HadIt.com Elder
i have chronic back pain with arthritis. how do i get out of the ibuprofen crap and get some pain pills that work? i have a therapy ap. on the 29th for my back. i asked last time for tramadol b/c a friend gave me a couple and it helped a lot. the doc told me i was to young for pain pills and prescribed celebrex which the VA wouldnt fill.

what do i need to do or say to get relief!

thanks

Honestly, I taken everything for my back and legs. Nothing really works. That's been my experience. Other than that, your VA doctor might give you some BS statement like "the DEA is about raid this VA facility for over prescribing narcotics". That was no joke, my former primary care doctor back in Houston told me that.