VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Had My Ptsd C&p :)

Rate this question

Guest swells1

Question

I had my PTSD C&P about a week ago. I was told where to go and when to be there. I arrived at a small clinic where the receptionist was friendly and helpful. She offered my wife and I something to drink and talked to us till the doc came in to ask us back to the exam room. She was very friendly and seated us in comfortable chairs. We talked about the exam for a bit before the questions started. I handed her a letter I had printed that gave details about the Beirut Bombing, some before and after pictures of the explosion, My accounts of what happened that day, a page of why I was asking for both compensation as well as assistance, and a letter from my wife stating the changes she has seen in me since the bombing in 1983. She seemed honestly impressed with what I handed her and told us that it would be very helpful to her in writing her report. She asked many questions and drug my wife and I through some awful memories. She put us through the grinder then pulled us back out again. It was honestly one of the toughest things I had ever been through. Obviously she could not and did not say "You have PTSD and this is what you are going to get" but she indicated that she had little doubt that I would be rated at least at the 50% level and that she reccomended I receive the care I need for my PTSD by the VA. I should have come forward a very long time ago and gotten this assistance. Just the one time opening up and letting it out of the box for the world to see took some of the weight off of my shoulders and feels good. I have a lot of claims in with the VA some minor and some pretty serious... But this one means more to me than the rest and it's important to me that the VA also seems to think it's my most important claim also. I hope the rest of my C&Ps go as well as this one did. Oh yeah I submitted my first ever claim to the VA around the 1st of June... It's now the 24th of September... Does this seem like things are going along at a brisk enough pace for me? How soon should I get an answer back on the C&P from the VA? How long should I wait to ask for my C File? And what exactly is in a C File? Ok That's enough questions for now. Be well all and good luck! swells1

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Swells, If you filed in June the timing is about right. You should wait about a week then go and pick up a copy of your exam so you know exactly whats in it. Right now I wouldn't request the claims file since it may hold things up. My last exam was in late july and the examiner said it usually takes around 3-4 months after exam for a decision but I know of some that have gotten decision faster and some later. I guess it depends on a factor of things such as the RO's case load and how complicated your claim is.

good luck,

dh

I had my PTSD C&P about a week ago. I was told where to go and when to be there. I arrived at a small clinic where the receptionist was friendly and helpful. She offered my wife and I something to drink and talked to us till the doc came in to ask us back to the exam room. She was very friendly and seated us in comfortable chairs. We talked about the exam for a bit before the questions started. I handed her a letter I had printed that gave details about the Beirut Bombing, some before and after pictures of the explosion, My accounts of what happened that day, a page of why I was asking for both compensation as well as assistance, and a letter from my wife stating the changes she has seen in me since the bombing in 1983. She seemed honestly impressed with what I handed her and told us that it would be very helpful to her in writing her report. She asked many questions and drug my wife and I through some awful memories. She put us through the grinder then pulled us back out again. It was honestly one of the toughest things I had ever been through. Obviously she could not and did not say "You have PTSD and this is what you are going to get" but she indicated that she had little doubt that I would be rated at least at the 50% level and that she reccomended I receive the care I need for my PTSD by the VA. I should have come forward a very long time ago and gotten this assistance. Just the one time opening up and letting it out of the box for the world to see took some of the weight off of my shoulders and feels good. I have a lot of claims in with the VA some minor and some pretty serious... But this one means more to me than the rest and it's important to me that the VA also seems to think it's my most important claim also. I hope the rest of my C&Ps go as well as this one did. Oh yeah I submitted my first ever claim to the VA around the 1st of June... It's now the 24th of September... Does this seem like things are going along at a brisk enough pace for me? How soon should I get an answer back on the C&P from the VA? How long should I wait to ask for my C File? And what exactly is in a C File? Ok That's enough questions for now. Be well all and good luck! swells1

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you are in Texas there is a 50/50 chance your with the Waco RO and they usually give a decision within 2 months of a C&P that is provided the C&P is all that they need.

Good Luck to you.

You spilled your guts the first time. It will be a little easier the next. I recommend that you look into some sort of counseling at the Veterans Center closest to you. They are not the VAMC and are much more helpful

Yes my RO is Waco and that's good news. Two months I can do standing on my head after waiting like a fool for 19 years. As far as getting help goes... I was told that I make too much money to be seen at the VA (I seem to be one of the first of the Obama health careless casualties). If I make too much money? Why are there old generals and admirals using the VA facilities? I also can not be seen out in the real world because none of the psycologists accept my HMO. Ya know it's funny... Ya work your whole life at doing what is right... Ya get screwed by everyone that walks by... Then when you finally break down and cant function anymore... The government that promised you care, kicks you to the curb and the insurance you paid for like clockwork year after year wont buy you a friggen bandaid. And people cant understand why other people commit suicide... As a combat vet I should be taken care of by the VA and as a consumer that pays for insurance in good faith I should get better care than having to go to a free clinic to be seen for a real condition. Wait a minute... That's not funny... But thats how it goes for folks like me.... My hope is you are right and I get a percentage sooner than later so maybe I can be seen in the VA for what I should have been seen for 27 years ago. Right after the Beirut Bombing. Yes thats my fault because of foolish pride.... I don't blame that part on anyone but myself.Ok I'll stop ranting now... Thank you for listening.

• HadIt.com Elder
Yes but not till "THEY" service connect me... Thanks for the info and support.

Well Doc Swells1, I just came across this posting after reading your other topic post earlier this morning. In the name of optimism, I would revise your estimated wait time from three, to two months. Your story is so unique, that I am sure the local Waco news media would love to hear it. I truly hope that you are one of the few that finds quick resolution to your claim. My most positive thoughts are with you.