VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Problems After Prostate Surgery From The Vamc

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

All my problems after Prostate Surgery from the VAMC since Dec2007. I have been wearing Depends since Dec.2007 10 Pads per day due to IC. I get all me medical treatment at the VA. The Baltimore MD VARO have my claim Jan2009. I call the 800 which was in The Midwest and don't know what Baltimore VARO done with my claim. After 10 minutes, VA states that they my VA medical records from the VAMC in Washington,DC which is 50 miles from Baltimore VAMC never arrived to the Baltimore,MD VARO. This what holding up my claim. I could had pick up my records from DC to Baltimore in least than one hour. Can't the VARO do better than this? Congress please Help our Veterans with Claims

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I wonder if they formally requested the records from DC.

I dealt with a VA REPS man 2 weeks ago and had to fax him something.I know he got the fax but I even doubled checked.

He was surprised that I doubled checked with him on the other stuff I had already sent to him too-

It just comes from years of dealing with VA.

Are you close enough to view your C File in person? They would need to set up an appointment for that- but I wonder if they actually did request these records.

I have stuff that dates back to the 1990s -letters from VA-that actually were bold faced lies as to whereabouts of records etc.

Have you applied for SSA recently- could the SSA perhaps have gotten these records from DC?

I will start on my SSDI papers today. I get all my treatment at the VAMC. The VARO is just holding up the claim. Thanks you. I been dealing with the VARO since 1979. They take their time doing claims.

I had radical prostectomy at VAMC on February 14 of this year. After four days in the hospital I was discharged with a decather and no antibiotics. I had excrutiating pain, but was told it was part of the healing process. After 11 days the staples and decather was removed and mind you was another terrible ordeal for me. Then again was not prescribed any antibiotics. After 6 or 7 more days and very heavy IC I couldn't stand the pain anymore and went to the ER where it was found that I had a urinary tract infection and somehow caused me to have a bad case of hemorroids. I was given antibiotics and pain medication and sent home. After taking this medication at home and finishing it up my burning sensation and pain would not stop and my IC was just getting worse. I never could get urology on the line and decided to go to my primary care at the south clinic of VA and was sent to the lab for a urinalysis. After 11 days, I was called by one of the nurses to inform me that I still had a urinary tract infection and was sending medicine to me by mail. I would think that i should have been notified immediately of this infection considering my past which I was hospitalized last Nov for URI which lead to another biopsy when my cancer was diagnosed. Further, I would think I should have been given antibiotics and discharge considering how long i had to wear the decather.. Can i get some more thoughts and/or inputs on this matter

If the VA caused you to acquire a ratable disability due to negligence you can file a Section 1151 claim (or an FTCA claim) or both.

There is info on Section 1151 claims and FTCA claims in our FTCA forum here.

"I would think that i should have been notified immediately of this infection considering my past which I was hospitalized last Nov for URI which lead to another biopsy when my cancer was diagnosed."

Were these biopsies for the same reason?

Why did you need 'another' biopsy?

VA saves countless lives every day.

Do they mess up in their medical care sometimes and harm veterans? you bet.

These types of claims need bonafide medical proof that negligence occurred and almost always they need a strong independent medical opinion.

I think the lack of a prescribed antibiotic in your case is prime facie negligence but yet I dont see any resulting ratable

condition due to this medical error.

A ratable condition solely due to negligence is the basis of these types of claim.(FTCA/1151)

However it concerns me that they did 2 biopsies-did they miss something on the first one?

The VA almost killed a Vietnam vet friend of mine by diagnosing hemmoroids when he in fact had colon cancer.I am still outraged by that.

I got him 100% P & T and SMC in less then 5 months.(I mean I wrote the claim for him. He didn't understand it at all)

They admitted their misdiagnosis shortened his life.

This was only a few months after I filed FTCA case and 1151 claim for wrongful death of my husband.Both this vet and my husband worked for the same VAMC and were close friends.

They obviously had some incompetent docs.

There is a template here for 1151 claims.

Any vet rep or VSO has had training in this type of claim and can help you with it- if they caused you an additional documented disability due to negligence.

Or shortened your life by a major misdiagnosis or a serious condition like cancer.

FTCAs are best handled by lawyers.

Edited by Berta