VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pension And Ssdi?

vistagirl81

My father has a pension from the VA due to depression. He was in the army for 4 years and the MC for 4 years. afte he got out which was in 1977 he has been unable to keep a job due to depression, in 1998 he went to the VA because his depression got out of hand. In 2002 he finally for a pension because he was not able to work. What i am asking is does he have a chance of getting a SC compensation or should he stick to the pension?

Another question i have is he is not on SSDI, they sent him a letter saying that it has been 10 years since he has not worked that he is unable to get it? When he applied 2 years ago they said he should wait because if he gets it he will not qualify for his pension. What nformation does he have to have so he can get SSDI. Thank you all.

Edited by vistagirl81

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father has a pension from the VA due to depression. He was in the army for 4 years and the MC for 4 years. afte he got out which was in 1977 he has been unable to keep a job due to depression, in 1998 he went to the VA because his depression got out of hand. In 2002 he finally for a pension because he was not able to work. What i am asking is does he have a chance of getting a SC compensation or should he stick to the pension?

Another question i have is he is not on SSDI, they sent him a letter saying that it has been 10 years since he has not worked that he is unable to get it? When he applied 2 years ago they said he should wait because if he gets it he will not qualify for his pension. What nformation does he have to have so he can get SSDI. Thank you all.

If he doesn't qualify for SSDI he can stil apply for SSI, but his VA pension will couonty toward income. The best thing SSI provides is for Medicaid.

It sounds to me as he is not insured for SSDI as he doesn't have the

required work credits to qualify for SSDI.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

vistagirl81,

Is your father a combat veteran?

Was your father treated for depression or PTSD in service?

Have you requested a copy of his service records?

Have you requested a copy of his work history with a record of his earnings from the SSA to determine if he has enough earned credits? He needs 20 credits earned in 40 quarters worked for SSDI.

To qualify for service connection, you must have an injury or illness in service, a currant diagnoses and a nexus that connects the two.

SSI & VA Pension are both federal needs bases programs. You can only draw one federal program at a time, whichever is the highest monthly benefit.

If pension is the higher amount(in most cases)then SSI will be stopped.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

First, are you sure it's pension??? What's the amount? Any dependents? To receive SSDI he would need to use a "date of disability onset" that was during a period when he had enough quarters qualification. If he is getting pension for depression it may be possible to service connect it but it will probably be an up hill battle. He should request a complete copy of his c-file so he's sure of what evidence is in there.

pr