VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase From 70%scd For Ptsd To 100% While Still Working Full-time

Rate this question

Guest Cliph

Question

I am a Vietnam Veteran and currently rated at 70% SCD for PTSD alone (no other disabilities). I love my work and feel that it's theraputic for me to continue working. Since my last C&P (2001), some of my symptoms have gotten worse and some new ones appeared. Is it possible to be awarded 100% SCD for PTSD while still employed full-time? What would be the salient points to cover in such a C&P?

Thank you for your attention.

Redcatcher, 67-68 11B-RTO

Yes.....I knew a former Sgt. In Wy. who was a manager of a oxygen supply store that worked there full time, but did his best to cope w/ his symptoms, and had an intact family. I don't know the details of it all other than last time I saw him he was being screened for tbi, and don't know what the outcome was, as I have lost touch. (was in a PTSD group) I didn't really understand how it all worked out to give him such a favorable rating given the basics of what I knew of his circumstances, as I have seen a glimpse of far more destructive trails of people's lives that got shortchanged with much lower ratings from the VA.

It really bothered me for a long time given my own struggles with getting correctly rated, and from my seat the only way to get anything done in a fair manner seems to depend on the c&p examiner's competency in whatever field they are evaluating u for. (His examiner that recommended the criteria for 100% was a team leader of the inpatient ptsd group at Sheridan Wy. VAMC)

I threatened to sue the second examiner who cut the exam short (Denver VAMC) (if it was going to be as big of a debackle as the first) out of three examiners, and finally got a guy who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about PTSD on the third exam.

Sorry I couldn't give more details, but I just didn't ask him about the specifics at the time. All I know is that his situation forces me to answer yes to ur question based on what I did know of him.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think you want to file for 100% for PTSD while working full time. 70% is about the maximun you can get for a mental disorder while working. You should read the criteria for rating PTSD. You may end up getting reduced when the C&P doctor learns you are working full time. The first thing the VA asks PTSD vets is "Are you working" since that is the main factor in awarding a higher rating. Really, the best thing you can do is to keep working and keep getting treatment for your PTSD. The day you are unable to work is the day to ask for 100% or IU.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I heard that people with 100% SSDI are allowed to 'piddle', i.e. make no more than a total of $5,000 income from part-time work. However, I don't know if this is the same for VA 100% SC.

• HadIt.com Elder

To get your answer, look at the rating criteria to know what it takes to get a 100 percent PTSD Award.

I seriously doubt the VA will award a 100 percent PTSD evaluation to anyone who is currently working.

I do know that if you have a physical disability evaluated at 100 percent you can work.

J

I'm on SSD. If I remember right they allow u to make up to $900 gross per month and still retain the status of qualifying for benefits.

I heard that people with 100% SSDI are allowed to 'piddle', i.e. make no more than a total of $5,000 income from part-time work. However, I don't know if this is the same for VA 100% SC.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not pull on the lion's tail regarding the letter of the law for the amount you can earn on SSD. If they find out you are working they can always reexamine you. Who knows if they will decide you have been rehabilitated. You sure as heck don't want the VA dragging you in for an exam because they thing you are gaming them. Many of the VA honchos think disabled vets are scam artists anyway. You can't have your cake and eat it too.