VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Increase

Rate this question

sandboxsquid

Question

I'm currently at 30% for PTSD, and I'm ready to file for an increase. Nightmares have gotten worse, insomnia is the norm, intrusive thoughts throughout the day, bouncing from job to job, realtionship with the wife is getting rockier by the day, etc. (you get the picture) My question is will another C&P exam need to be performed? I am currently receiving counseling from a VA social worker twice monthly and have a VA shrink dispensing the meds, so my file would be an open book for them to review. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to ask for it. However, I think if you are entitled to a benefit the VA is supposed to consider a grant even if you don't ask for it because it is inferred by the reg that Phil parphrased. In reality you have to ask or 99% of the time you don't get, but this might be the basis of an appeal. For instance, if you can't work due to an SC condition the VA is supposed to consider IU even if you don't ask for it.

My husband got 10 % ptsd the first time, but it was obvious to me and his family that his problem was higher... he is getting counseling at the Veterans Center and seing a phsyc. at VA hospital, both agree his ptsd is around 40 to 50 %.... He filed for an increase, he sent the opinion from both profesionals plus the list of medicines prescribed by the phsyc as new evidence, and he still got the letter for his C & P exam...

I was rated at 30% the first time around in September 08. In April I got into some trouble at work and they suspended me. I got re-evaluated in June 09 for 70%. I just lost my job in October 09 because of my PTSD and I put in a request for IU and I'm waiting for that. I feel my symptoms are worse now than they were in June 09 and I'm hoping that I get another C&P.

For the 30%-70% jump I submited a new claim and stated that my symptoms were getting worse. They scheduled another C&P. I had the same person examining me the second time around as I did the first time. The person even remembered me! I'm sure that helped. The biggest thing that I think helped to secure my jump was the fact that I actually had lost a significant ammount of time at work because of my PTSD. And, well, the suicide and violent thoughts helped too.

Best of luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Squid

The way these ratings for mental health issues usually go is 10-30% first claim. You appeal with more evidence and maybe they bump you up to 50%. If you are not working due to PTSD then the VA bumps you up to 70-100%. This usually takes a few years unless you are totally incapacitated by the PTSD. If you are working it is hard to get more than 50%, but that sets the table for a higher rating. Getting a decent rating from the VA is a job. You have to work at it. It sounds like you are working at it. Keep going to the VA and complain your head off about your symptoms.

This is interesting.... my husband is 10% ptsd. He filed for an increase, the VA already took a look at his medical records, his psychiatric told him, his C&P is on feb 2010... My husband works for the va hospital, he has been transfered to differents shifts and sections because He doesn't get along with his coworkers and superiors ( same with 14 jobs He has held since 2001 ).... last march He was forced to step down his work leader position to a regular housekeeping worker, He took it because He was afraid they will denie unemployment. He didn't submit this letter with the increase petition... since his claims (fibromylagia, apnea, tinnitus, low back, Gulf War Syndrome, sinnus ) already are in the post determination team He was told not so send the letter unless He is denied an increase.... any imput will be greatly appreciate it.....