VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Foot Pains And Diabetes

Rate this question

jimiusmaximus

Question

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site but I have to tell you I am very impressed with the depth of knowledge being shared here. Thank you all for that. I know this issue isn't AO related, but I know a lot of AO vets due have DM so I am hoping to find someone her to answer a question. If I am in the wrong I apologize in advance.

Here is a little background on me. I am service connected for DMII, diagnosed in 2005 during my Army retirement physical. Over the past year I have been having a lot of pain in my fingers and toes. I don't really have any numbness or much tingling. I get the pains usually in my big toes and index fingers and it kind of shoots up through the hand/foot. My hands and feet also feel stiff and my hands are really sensitive to pain, like if i smack something it stings bad for quite a few minutes. On my past 2 visists to my PCP (non VA) he has told me that I have not had Diabetes long enough to have Neuropathy, and he is hesitant to give any meds for it due to me already being on a lot of meds (oral) for the DM. The meds are really not the concern, I occaisionally take ibuprofen for the pain and it is not that great.

Here is my question. Is pain like that realted to the DM.. to neuropathy? Can a person who has somewhat controlled diabetes (A1C 6.4) suffer from Neuropathy after only a few years? Can you have Neuropathy and not have numbness? Just last week I have enrolled at the VA and will be getting my healthcare addressed through the VA going forward. They have me scheduled for a lot of bloodwork and tests. I belive one of the tests is a nerve conduction test... whatever that is.

Thank you all for bearing with me and thanks in advance for your help.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You know people with DMII are also prone to get blockages in their leg arteries. If your circulation to the legs is poor this can lead to amputations later in life. I had a CT scan done on my legs and I had problems with poor circulation and it showed on the CT scan where arteries were blocked. I have DMII from AO and PN.

• HadIt.com Elder

Diabetics need to be very careful about over the counter medications cause many of them can burn out your kidney. You really need to work closely with Doc and Pharmacist.