VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Blind Veteran Compensation Amount

Rate this question

Plutus

Question

In 1989 I was medically discharged after back surgery and given a 10% rating. (I was also having vision problems at the time of my discharge.) In 1994 my disability rating was raised to 100% due to blindness. Every year I recieve a COLA raise.

I read somewhere that blind veterans recieve compensation between 3 and 6 thousand per month. I recieve much closer to 3 than 6. My question is how is this decided? Are there benefits I don't know about? I have been thru voc rehab a few times but am not working. I am divorced/widowed and live alone.

Thanks for any reply. -- Jeff

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Not my intent to be rude, but this seems like an oxymoron to me. Are u totally blind, or partial?

In 1989 I was medically discharged after back surgery and given a 10% rating. (I was also having vision problems at the time of my discharge.) In 1994 my disability rating was raised to 100% due to blindness. Every year I recieve a COLA raise.

I read somewhere that blind veterans recieve compensation between 3 and 6 thousand per month. I recieve much closer to 3 than 6. My question is how is this decided? Are there benefits I don't know about? I have been thru voc rehab a few times but am not working. I am divorced/widowed and live alone.

Thanks for any reply. -- Jeff

The veterans you mentioned might also be eligible for higher forms of SMC in addition to ratings for blindness.

For example - a vet who has a spouse and 2 dependent parents, rated at SMC R-2-(the highest level of SMC ) -receives $8,040 a month in compensation.

Maybe they receive SSDI too and are adding that to the total.

Some states have additional benefits for sightless vets.

Our state (NY) has a Blind Annuity benefit for vets-it isnt very much at all and our Governour (who is legally blind himself) cut this benefit a little this year.Only by a few bucks but still -it isnt much anyhow.

Edited by Berta