VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Statins And Muscle Pain

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been taking statins for a number of years. I have pain that has gotten worse over the years in my back muscles. I am wondering has anyone else ever had a similar reaction to statin drugs. My brother has some kind of neuropathy and he thinks his is due to the statin drugs he takes. My pain started gradually and has gotten much worse with no objective evidence of anything in my back that could cause such pain. I am grasping at straws. I have been to the back doctors and arthritus doctors and all the rest with no result except lots of narcotic pain killers which don't work anymore.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had to be taken off of simvistatin which they (the VA) told me was a powerful drug. They put me on pravistatin (dont know if thats spelled right) which is a weaker form of statin. They did it because i was having aches and pains all over my body and could only relate it to the statin. There is a test they can give you to see if you are having a reaction to it. I would ask for the test.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why I am in so much pain with such inconsequential objective findings. If I find out that the statins have caused this misery I am going rejoice first, and then I think I will strangle my doctor who presribed the drug to me. I have had about 5 MRI's, spinals x-rays, nerve blocks etc with no results. I have become dependent on narcotics. When my psychologist said it might be a food allergy it got me thinking. I have suffered like a dog for a number of years while taking my zocor every night like a good boy. I think I will call my real internist. He may brush it off because everyone takes statins now. He takes them. My shrink takes them. Half of the medical professionals over the age of 40 take them. I think many may have a mental block about the side effects of long term use. It did lower my cholesterol by about 40% and I never even had a belly ache. I know there is some evidence that cholesterol levels may not be the factor in heart attacks. They may be a marker for something else. You know we are all just lab rats for the drug companies because we are the ones who will show if long term use of a host of drugs cause unanticipated consequences. It took the VA 30 years to determine that AO caused DMII. People in their teens are now getting DMII from AO 40 years later and I remember the NCO drinking it to show it was harmless. He died from stomache cancer.

I also had aches and pains from taking a statin - so I stopped. Instead I started taking a chinese holistic med - "Red Rice Yeast", which my aunt takes for her cholestral. Her heart doc says it is good, and to take it with her other heart drugs. Lucky me all I have is high cholestral, which I figure will kill me with a strike to the heart. Better than withering from cancer, in my opinion....

Do your own due diligence on the RRY before you take it.

Akwidow

I also had aches and pains from taking a statin - so I stopped. Instead I started taking a chinese holistic med - "Red Rice Yeast", which my aunt takes for her cholestral. Her heart doc says it is good, and to take it with her other heart drugs. Lucky me all I have is high cholestral, which I figure will kill me with a strike to the heart. Better than withering from cancer, in my opinion....

Do your own due diligence on the RRY before you take it.

Akwidow

I was taking Lipitor for quite a number of years. Started to develop severe muscle cramps in hands and lower legs. This fooled me for a while when my legs cramped as I thought it originated from my spine problems. When I discussed this with my family physician, he immediately stopped the Lipitor. I was off it for one year. Still get very minor lower leg cramps. My private doc recently started me (also) on Red Yeast Rice, 1200 mgs. per day.

this is pretty common among statins and can be a serious sign of other major organs reacting to the drug. You should check with your PCP immediately. There is also a class action lawsuit against the makers of these drugs.