VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

H1n1 Vaccine.

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think that the vaccine will ever be ready Wings. I am going into wearing a mask if I go out mode. Also vinyl gloves and a conscious decision not to touch my face and wash hands before and after I do anything.

I am thinking of canceling all appointments at VA until the flu is over. It is spreading like wildfire.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
I would like to share with you all, something that happened to my wife around labor day. It shows things are not always what they seem.

A few days before labor day my wife, started feeling ill sore throat, febrile, etc.. I take her to her primary, doc say's she is 99% sure that my wife has swin flu and prescribes TAMIFLU. the doc also took a swab to test for swine flu. Takes the first dose on Friday, Saturday she starts getting violently ill vomiting, numbness in hands, severe back pains, still febrile. Sunday morning she decides not to take any more TAMIFLU, I said she should call the doc and tell her that she stopped taking the TAMIFLU, that didn't happen. Monday, I wake up and find her on the couch in a manic state and rocking back and forth, I say thats it were going to the hospital, my wife did not want to go and had to get her brother and sister to intervene. Her brother is in a top position at one of the hospitals in the area ( this became relevant later). Ok, get her to emergency room, they put her on IV, antibiotics etc., do a lab workup. They initially thought maybe swine flu, but after the H1N1 test came back negative, that is ruled out. Then it started getting complicated, she was anemic, dehydrated still febrile. They were looking at kidney stones, gall bladder, liver and after almost a week in the hospital, still no diagnose. By Saturday she was feeling much better and the blood work was coming back normal and decided to take her off the antibiotics and pain meds for the back. They were going to release her Sunday. Early Sunday morning she woke up with 104 fever and severe back pain. Put her back on the IV'S. This is where her brother steps in and started talking with the infectious disease doc, who is supposed to be a genius. The doc starts asking if my wife has had any dental work recently, no she said, but did have a tooth ache a couple of weeks ago. Also, my wife has a heart murmur. This doctor finally put the dots together and found it was endocarditis. That means one of the valves had an infection cluster and was allowing the blood to flow back ino the heart. After everything was stabalized they released her on Tuesday. For the past month she has had a pick in her arm and has had to take a very stron antibiotic intraveneously for the past four weeks. She had the pick/stent taken out last Friday. Today she said this is the first day that she feels normal. By the way the doctors said she is very lucky that she had the back pain and came to the hospital, because most people do not have any symptoms with endocarditis until it is to late and wind up having surgery or worse. So the bottom line is if you have any type of heart condition, aside from high blood pressure. When you have your teeth cleaned, dental work of any kind, colonoscopy anything invasive you "need" to take antibiotics before the procedure. This is contrary to memo's and information that is going around at dental offices and some hospitals. I was trying to make this short as posibble, sorry.

t&b

My most positive thoughts are with you and your wife. I hope all is well soon.

Wings, youe correct. It was likely H1N1. The CDC says almost all cases of confirmed flu are swine flu. That is why for most people I beleive the vaccinations will be too little too late. No point in me getting one. I'm sure I've been exposed.

From the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

2009 H1N1 Flu: Situation Update

October 09, 2009, 4:00 PM ET

U.S. Situation Update

Weekly Flu Activity Estimates

U.S. Patient Visits Reported for Influenza-like Illness (ILI)

U.S. Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Reported by Regions

U.S. Influenza and Pneumonia-Associated Hospitalizations and Deaths from August 30

to September 5, 2009

International

Situation Update

Map of International

Activity Estimates

(Including 2009 H1N1 Flu)

Key Flu Indicators

Each week CDC analyzes information about influenza disease activity in the United States and publishes findings of key flu indicators in a report called FluView. During the week of September 27 - October 3, 2009, a review of the key indictors found that influenza activity increased in the United States. Below is a summary of the most recent key indicators:

•Visits to doctors for influenza-like illness (ILI) continued to increase in the United States, and overall, are higher than levels expected for this time of the year.

•Total influenza hospitalization rates for laboratory-confirmed influenza are higher than expected for this time of year for adults and children. And for children 5-17 and adults 18-49 years of age, hospitalization rates from April – October 2009 exceed average flu season rates (for October through April).

•The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April.

•Thirty-seven states are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time. They are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. Any reports of widespread influenza activity in September and October are very unusual.

•Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. The Wife/Nurse and me had our bout(s) with it about 3-4 weeks ago.

I was so sick for about 3-4 days that I didn't get out of bed to do anything other than basic needs. I've been weak as a kitten up until a few days ago. Not sure if it was H1N1, but from reading your post, timetowin, it most probably was. I was at the VAMC just a couple days after I could get out and about, for my regular visit with my PCP and the Nurse gave me the "regular" flu vaccine (and, naturally, I felt like crap AGAIN from the vaccination).

Bllllllllaaaah! Uggg!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, Tag.dear, comforting wishes to your wife. I am glad that your intuition and dedication proved miraculous.

Regards H1N!, I'm not sure what I or my family had, sinus'es all around, but could have been that. The kiddos will probably get the shot unless a huge flag goes up. Haven't ruled out getting the vaccine myself, CHF, allergies and seasonal asthma.

Here we are in constant prayer for a year old little girl and her family, who is pulling through just now two weeks later. We'll continue praying for no long term effects after the encephalitis, temporary paralysis and near coma. So glad I was sitting down when the teacher told me, I froze, the hair on my arms, neck and all stood up before the tears escaped, the shock just tore me up the rest of the day.