Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
tagandbag

H1n1 Vaccine.

I would like to share with you all, something that happened to my wife around labor day. It shows things are not always what they seem.

A few days before labor day my wife, started feeling ill sore throat, febrile, etc.. I take her to her primary, doc say's she is 99% sure that my wife has swin flu and prescribes TAMIFLU. the doc also took a swab to test for swine flu. Takes the first dose on Friday, Saturday she starts getting violently ill vomiting, numbness in hands, severe back pains, still febrile. Sunday morning she decides not to take any more TAMIFLU, I said she should call the doc and tell her that she stopped taking the TAMIFLU, that didn't happen. Monday, I wake up and find her on the couch in a manic state and rocking back and forth, I say thats it were going to the hospital, my wife did not want to go and had to get her brother and sister to intervene. Her brother is in a top position at one of the hospitals in the area ( this became relevant later). Ok, get her to emergency room, they put her on IV, antibiotics etc., do a lab workup. They initially thought maybe swine flu, but after the H1N1 test came back negative, that is ruled out. Then it started getting complicated, she was anemic, dehydrated still febrile. They were looking at kidney stones, gall bladder, liver and after almost a week in the hospital, still no diagnose. By Saturday she was feeling much better and the blood work was coming back normal and decided to take her off the antibiotics and pain meds for the back. They were going to release her Sunday. Early Sunday morning she woke up with 104 fever and severe back pain. Put her back on the IV'S. This is where her brother steps in and started talking with the infectious disease doc, who is supposed to be a genius. The doc starts asking if my wife has had any dental work recently, no she said, but did have a tooth ache a couple of weeks ago. Also, my wife has a heart murmur. This doctor finally put the dots together and found it was endocarditis. That means one of the valves had an infection cluster and was allowing the blood to flow back ino the heart. After everything was stabalized they released her on Tuesday. For the past month she has had a pick in her arm and has had to take a very stron antibiotic intraveneously for the past four weeks. She had the pick/stent taken out last Friday. Today she said this is the first day that she feels normal. By the way the doctors said she is very lucky that she had the back pain and came to the hospital, because most people do not have any symptoms with endocarditis until it is to late and wind up having surgery or worse. So the bottom line is if you have any type of heart condition, aside from high blood pressure. When you have your teeth cleaned, dental work of any kind, colonoscopy anything invasive you "need" to take antibiotics before the procedure. This is contrary to memo's and information that is going around at dental offices and some hospitals. I was trying to make this short as posibble, sorry.

t&b

x

x

x

I had the FLU in September; could not breathe for 3 days. Took Prednasone and Albuteral inhaler (never had these meds in my life) . . . I am not going to take the "shot because I think my immune system just survived (barely) the H1N1 --- the VA didn't have the vaccine anyway (I did go in), nor did they offer to test me for the virus. ~Wings

Are you sure that it was h1n1?

Are you sure that it was h1n1?

No. I did go to the VAMC to see my Primary Care Provider: RN. She said I was presenting with "allergies". I told her my 14 y/o daughter had just been thru a fever of 104, and then coughing and sneezing, etc, and though I did not have as high a fever (101), I was coughing and sneezing, and thought I had pneumonia. The VA Clinic did not have an X-Ray machine, so they told me to drive to VAMC about 2 hours away --and I did not have the strength. She prescibed some meds and I went home to bed.

The VA did not test me for H1N1, nor did they have treatment for it; as of today, the H1N1 Vaccine is not available at my VAMC. ~Wings

I don't think that the vaccine will ever be ready Wings. I am going into wearing a mask if I go out mode. Also vinyl gloves and a conscious decision not to touch my face and wash hands before and after I do anything.

I am thinking of canceling all appointments at VA until the flu is over. It is spreading like wildfire.

I would like to share with you all, something that happened to my wife around labor day. It shows things are not always what they seem.

A few days before labor day my wife, started feeling ill sore throat, febrile, etc.. I take her to her primary, doc say's she is 99% sure that my wife has swin flu and prescribes TAMIFLU. the doc also took a swab to test for swine flu. Takes the first dose on Friday, Saturday she starts getting violently ill vomiting, numbness in hands, severe back pains, still febrile. Sunday morning she decides not to take any more TAMIFLU, I said she should call the doc and tell her that she stopped taking the TAMIFLU, that didn't happen. Monday, I wake up and find her on the couch in a manic state and rocking back and forth, I say thats it were going to the hospital, my wife did not want to go and had to get her brother and sister to intervene. Her brother is in a top position at one of the hospitals in the area ( this became relevant later). Ok, get her to emergency room, they put her on IV, antibiotics etc., do a lab workup. They initially thought maybe swine flu, but after the H1N1 test came back negative, that is ruled out. Then it started getting complicated, she was anemic, dehydrated still febrile. They were looking at kidney stones, gall bladder, liver and after almost a week in the hospital, still no diagnose. By Saturday she was feeling much better and the blood work was coming back normal and decided to take her off the antibiotics and pain meds for the back. They were going to release her Sunday. Early Sunday morning she woke up with 104 fever and severe back pain. Put her back on the IV'S. This is where her brother steps in and started talking with the infectious disease doc, who is supposed to be a genius. The doc starts asking if my wife has had any dental work recently, no she said, but did have a tooth ache a couple of weeks ago. Also, my wife has a heart murmur. This doctor finally put the dots together and found it was endocarditis. That means one of the valves had an infection cluster and was allowing the blood to flow back ino the heart. After everything was stabalized they released her on Tuesday. For the past month she has had a pick in her arm and has had to take a very stron antibiotic intraveneously for the past four weeks. She had the pick/stent taken out last Friday. Today she said this is the first day that she feels normal. By the way the doctors said she is very lucky that she had the back pain and came to the hospital, because most people do not have any symptoms with endocarditis until it is to late and wind up having surgery or worse. So the bottom line is if you have any type of heart condition, aside from high blood pressure. When you have your teeth cleaned, dental work of any kind, colonoscopy anything invasive you "need" to take antibiotics before the procedure. This is contrary to memo's and information that is going around at dental offices and some hospitals. I was trying to make this short as posibble, sorry.

t&b

My most positive thoughts are with you and your wife. I hope all is well soon.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ztmiller8
      Hey all,
      First off, love this page it has been extremely helpful! 
      Background: currently at 90% / 70-ptsd, 50-migraines, 10-iritis, 10-tinnitus, and I’m in the running for 100 at the moment. 
      Current day: Was content at 90 but after all these years I have finally come out about my MST when I was in the infantry. Still working stuff out on that end as this is still fresh...
      Anyway, I submitted a claim for sleep apnea because of the MST. I submitted the following: picture of CPAP machine I use in my house, nexus statement from issuing doctor, Nexus statement from other doctor stating the sleep apnea is due to trauma from MST,  copy of sleep study confirming I have sleep apnea from doctor listed above and buddy statements as well as the formal submission paperwork of my MST to three levels of my chain of command, NCO, O3, O5 etc...
      Wrap this all up with a successful expedited hardship approval and you now have me waiting for answers. Well today (a few moments prior to writing this) I found out I am getting a C&P exam for this...I almost feel like this is a slap in the face...I mean how am I to go up to that examiner and explain all this when I literally gave it all to them...
      Has anyone been in my shoes before???

Thank you all.
    • By Jamezam
      I've decided to take a crack at creating a CUE and Benefit of the Doubt failure for a claim that was originally denied in 1988, but finally approved in 2014. And, I currently have a pending NOD on the effective date of said claim.
      I would be so grateful if anyone could view my CUE and original claim denial. My question is this, am I on the right track with my CUE? I have been developing my CUE using language based on an actual citation by the BVA awarding a CUE to a veteran for the same condition and circumstances in which mine was denied and quoting Title 38. It's so easy to get confused with all of the information out there.
      So any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded my CUE in development phase and original claim denial.

• By rightstrivinsissy
      Hello Hadit Helpers, 
      I feel like I am stumbling around blind. I hope someone can help me see.
      I was service connected in 2011 severe anxiety due to mst and a bladder condition.
      I have not had gainful employment since ETSing in 2004. I was re-evaluated for an increase and received an overall 70 - 40 -10 but started being payed at 80% in 2016. 
      In June of 2019 I applied for TDIU. I hit the make a decision now button on ebenefits, which was like shooting my own foot for lack of patience, not realizing that this meant the VA could not request any further info from me.
      In August I was denied, and obtained an attorney. 
      The attorney took over and ebenefits is showing the privacy act starting on October 4th and my claim is now in the evidence gathering/decision making process. Estimated end date of April 2020, the attorney says 3 years, but I know there are new systems in place to make things move a little quicker.
      I am looking for any information that you all would have about what is actually happening. I don't know if this is a NOD or what. My case manager acts like I am a major pain and won't give me any info and I fear she has no idea what she is actually doing. =(
      I assume it is not an actual appeal yet, because my case manager said they would have to wait for my c-file before they would appeal on the next denial from the VA.  
      I am so confused, If any of you experts could find the time to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have always dealt with the VA on my own with no previous denials, but never fully understood what I was doing. I thought hiring an attorney would change this, but I still feel just as blind as before.
    • By pyrotaz
      I met with a VSO on Feb 8th 2019 and started my MST/PTSD claim. To be totally honest I am scared to death. The incidents happened during my Navy duty 88-89. I had hid it from everyone including my wife until this past December. I had went to a VSO  to talk about other claims when it slipped out and I was offered help to form a claim.  We filed an intent to claim in Dec 2018. She suggested I talk with my wife and make an appointment with my doctor. After sitting and having a very emotional talk with my wife and with her support I made an appointment with my personal doctor. I am very lucky to have a great doctor who sat with me and after many tears I was able to explain in detail what had happened. He diagnosed me with extreme anxiety mostly when dealing with other Males ( Authority Figures or when confronted), and PTSD/MST and prescribed an anxiety as needed.
      What we submitted:
      A two page statement from me ( Timeline form) A statement from my wife A statement from from my 20 yr old son detailing my issues with examples of my issues with male authority figures  A Nexus statement from my Doctor saying he feels that my anxiety and PTSD is definitely caused by what happened while I served. The VSO said that it was the best written Nexus statement she has ever seen  in her 10 years in doing Veteran claims.  My Questions:
      After submitting a claim to the VSO how long before it shows up on ebenefits? Mine still shows as intent to file. The VSO says it has been submitted. What can I expect at my C & P exam? How can I prepare myself for the exam? This is what I dread/fear most.   Is it ok if I post my journey? I also want to thank all the men and women who have submitted to the MST forum.  I now know I am not alone. Being a male and reading that similar things has happened to other males and reading their journeys  has prepared me to start my journey and start the healing process.
    • By pyrotaz
      Looking for some guidance. I served on active duty in the Navy from 87-90 overseas on a ship. My original plans when I enrolled was to do 20 years,  Back in Dec of 2018 I met with and amazing Veterans Service Officer about a tinnitus claim which was approved. While there she had handed me a bunch papers about claims and one was on PTSD and MST. She was copying  and I was reading the PTSD-MST document and it triggered a bunch of emotions where I started shacking and tearing up. The VSO walked in and noticed my state and asked me if I was ok. I tried to answer her but, couldn't she went and got a male VSO and a male nurse to come in. Once the nurse helped calmed me down the male VSO noticed the document I was reading and we talked for awhile about it and I briefly explained a little. He recommend  that I file a DBA for PTSD-MST and recommended the following.
      I document everything I can remember about the events is causing my stressors: I wrote an eight page document in details about the events. Talk to my wife about what happened and have her write a document on what she sees and how it effects our relationship: After having an very hard emotional talk with her, she wrote a two page document. My 20 year old son also wrote a two page document on things he as seen, even though he only knows a little about what happened. Talk to my doctor about what happened: Made an appointment and discussed detail what happened and he diagnosed me with severe PTSD and anxiety placed on Xanax as needed. He wrote a Nexus letter and has sent it into the VA for me Now I explain a little about what when on when arriving on ship I was assigned to a steam generator room and assigned watch with two other sailors one was a 2nd Class Petty officer and the other a 3rd class.  At the time we were doing 12 hour watches 12 on 12 off.  The first few watches went well. We were getting ready to pull into Subic Bay Philippines for a few days before heading back to Japan. They both stated " We want you to come out and drink with us and then we can tag team a few girls". Now a little history alcoholism runs in my family and I don'y shy away from drinking I just know my limits. When we arrived in port I hung out with a few of my buddies instead. When we headed back to sea things went down hill. On my first watch back with them they yelled to me to come to the watch booth which was big enough for 2 chairs and a small table/chair between them the whole booth was maybe 4 feet by 6 feet with a center door and windows. When I went in I noticed they both had towels over their laps which wasn't unusual do to it being over 100 degrees in there.   I was told to sit down and did then one of them stated we figured out why you didn't go out with use you must be gay and not like girls. I didn't get a chance to answer when they ripped the towels off and exposed  themselves to me. I tried to leave but they held the door laughing. I was finally let out and was very shaken up. This happened many time the next few day the both continually exposed themselves to me. I would ask them to stop and would be ignored.  I went to my Chief Petty officer and told him what was going and and got this remark back " Why you trying to get them in trouble they are just playing with you". I went to back to my watch and was cornered by them and verbally threatened to keep my mouth shut. With out going in two many details things escalated to the point where I wold come done to watch and they would be masturbating in the open I'd try to move away and they would chase me around. One time I was working in the bilge( bottom area of ship lots of stinky water and valves) under the floor of our work space  crawling around attempting to fix a valve when I felt what I thought was water coming down on me upon looking up realized they were urinating on me. A lot more worse things happened. I was very depressed and felt helpless. I tho ought about suicide many time and even cut my wrist once when things were at its worst. Got scared and told everyone I fell and sliced it still have the scar.  Other than my failed attempt to tell my Chief about it I never told a soul about it. I ask myself why didn't I fight back? Lets put it this way at the time I weighed about 125 lbs soaking wet and about 5'7". They both were about 170-180 and were both over 6 feet. I was working in a space alone with them at anytime they could injury me say I got hurt working it was my word against the 2 of them.  Why has it taking so long for me to open up about this? I always thought that Sexual trauma only happened to woman. I was scared and embarrassed to admit he happened to me. How has this affected me.
      I have nightmares weekly. I have flashbacks. Something will trigger memories and I'll have panic attacks. I have intimacy issues.  I have ED issues that started at an early age. I have issues in places where there may be Male Public Nudity ( Locker rooms, even public restrooms  I'll use a stall ) Just because it triggers flashback of them and what they did. I have issues with Male authority figures. I have the tendency to back down from and conflicts even though and right. Fear retaliation  And the big one still fear retaliation from them. Still fear after almost 30 years that exposing them and what happened they will find away to get me.     Thank you to everyone who reads this. Now my questions:   Is there anything else I should include to help my case? I'm aware that after my meeting with the VSO they will set me up with a DBA with someone from the VA. What can I expect from that meeting and how should I prepare for it? What about secondary PTSD symptoms what applies? After meeting with my personal doctor he actually interned  at the VA center I going to. He suggested  apply for ratings secondary to the PTSD rating for the following. Erectile dysfunction, hypertension. Do you feel that these are ok? Are there others that I should consider or be aware of?    
  • Ads

• Our picks

• The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 4 replies
    • Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines