VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obesity Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have a letter (handwritten) by my doctor that states that, "It is likely that his PTSD led to his obesity. His obesity has led to his other medical problems (sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.). Please evaluate him for service connected benefits that apply". BTW, I also have Hypothyroidism.

Would this letter have any weight?

Papa

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have a letter (handwritten) by my doctor that states that, "It is likely that his PTSD led to his obesity. His obesity has led to his other medical problems (sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.). Please evaluate him for service connected benefits that apply". BTW, I also have Hypothyroidism.

Would this letter have any weight?

Papa

Papa,

Just my opinion but I do not feel this letter,as posted will

be of any help to get claims granted for obesity, secondary to PTSD,

or any additional medical problems such as SA or diabetes also from the obesity.

The doc has not stated any medical rationale to support the blanket statement,

""It is likely that his PTSD led to his obesity. His obesity has led to his other medical problems (sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.). Please evaluate him for service connected benefits that apply".

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Papa,

It could get your foot in the door for a possible C&P, but without a medical rational as to why your doctor feels that it is SC'd, it will carry very little weight, but at least it is a starting point.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got secondary SC for some DMII complications and you need strong medical statements that explain the nexus. Even conditions that are accepted by medical community as secondary to certain other conditions need a strong medical report for VA purpose.

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe you should see if you could get a IMO from a Doc who could justify his findings instead of just the opinion. However, I agree with JR that it could get you a C&P especially if you included some information that supports the diagnosis of secondary conditions due to PTSD. Another avenue is the meds people take that cause weight gain.

Good Luck

If I read the note correctly your Doc was only requesting an evaluation either to prove the theory or determine some other reason.

• HadIt.com Elder

What you will probably find is that the VA is going to try to blame every condition you have on your obesity instead of the other way around. I have a friend who has DMII from AO, and also a heart condition and HBP. The VA blames all the secondary conditons on his being obease. If they could get away with it I bet they would blame the DMII on his being obease. If you had an alcohol or drug proplem the VA would attempt to blame all other conditions on these problems instead of looking for underlying condition that drove the person to drink or drugs. Why you ask? Because alcohol and drug abuse are not compensable. It is the same with obesity unless an accident altered your brain and glands to make you overeat and you could prove it. You could say that the PTSD causes obsessive behavior one of which is overeating. Your doctor has to finese it.

If you had an alcohol or drug proplem the VA would attempt to blame all other conditions on these problems instead of looking for underlying condition that drove the person to drink or drugs. Why you ask? Because alcohol and drug abuse are not compensable. It is the same with obesity unless an accident altered your brain and glands to make you overeat and you could prove it. You could say that the PTSD causes obsessive behavior one of which is overeating. Your doctor has to finese it.

A vet can get drug abuse or alcohol abuse as secondary to a SC mental condition.

dh

Edited by darkhorse