VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Medical Center File Room Clerks

Rate this topic

Can someone please tell me if there is anything else my husband and I can do to get his medical record from VA. On Friday 10/9/09 we spoke with the FOIA/Privacy Officer in Baltimore after getting the run-around to where his medical file might be. How in the world can a VA medical center close up and the VA file clerks claim all files from the medical center that closed in Baltimore were transferred to the Perry point, MD facility and Perry point claim they are in the new facility in Baltimore and nobody knows where the medical file is period. The FOIA/Privacy officer is saying that the file will be found because she is sending the information to the Chief of FOIA. (Freedom of Information Act officer.) I work for a Federal agency and I know the process of how records management should be handled. These are some of the dumbest folks I have ever talk to in my life. Everybody blames everybody else. If someone has any suggestions on what we can do to get his medical file, please respond. This file was located at the Veterans Hospital on Loch Raven Boulevard, Baltimore, MD from Sept., 1969 through the time they closed in the 90s. They can't find any information on the clinical patient records system, but 1 file clerk told us in looking through the logs, he found my husband's name and the file number they used to file it with. (but no medical files). They also claimed that the records have not been retired.

We need this file because we know that it will help with filing his claim. HELP! HELP! HELP!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I would guess that the files are misplaced. I would start with an inquiry about the file. Call 800 827 1000 and tell the Councilor that you wish to make a formal inquiry. They have about 10 days to get back to you.

The problem is oftentimes you will get bad info from VA employees and now you really need to get an answer on paper.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Pete's right.

But for what it's worth, when I submitted my original claim, they lost everything including copies of my service treatment records when they were supposedly transferred from the VSO to the RO. When the board initially reviewed my claim, apparently they ended up reviewing an empty folder, claim denied. I am glad I kept copies of everything, so I provided them with another copy and my claim was approved. It turned out that my records were eventually found misfiled.

Definitely stay on them. Hopefully they will turn up.

• HadIt.com Elder

[i work for a Federal agency and I know the process of how records management should be handled. These are some of the dumbest folks I have ever talk to in my life. Everybody blames everybody else.]

The blame game & passing you around until you develop vertigo is very common throughout the VA.

It's also possible the records were shredded.

It took me 25 yrs just to get copies of my SMR's. By the time the VARO that had all my originals permanently released to them sent them to me, 2/3rds were missing.

About all you can do is keep sending written requests using the VA's medical records release form. Hopefully someone with a brain will put in a days work & find them.

Half these folks walk around like zombies, the other half pull the load for everyone.

What happened to every things on electric records now & so easy to find? Where did all the funds go to get it so well organized?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Allan,

I don't work for a federal agency, but do work for a company that performs electronic document imaging. I must remain anonymous about which one, but definitely agree that electronic storage and archiving is a big help!

-Vync