VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd & C&p

Rate this question

usmarine0311

Question

I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD. I have talked to several Vietnam Era vets who have told me to write a stressor letter and to get buddy letters. I find this very difficult to write, because I have a tough time just trying not to think of the past. Honestly, my life has been a living hell the last 3-4 years. I remember how I used to be, and I look at myself now. I did a complete 180, and now I'm very much a recluse. I don't go see anyone, and I don't want anyone to come and see me. I have pretty much gotten rid of everyone I associated with. I don't go anywhere hardly without carying my weapon. I just literallyfeel vulnerable and naked without it. My mom says I just need to "snap out of it". She constantly tells me there is nothing wrong wth me, an that lots of men have been to Iraq and they seem fine. I don't discuss the past with her or anyone else. I can't. My marriage is constantly teetering on the rocks and I just had to quit working 3 years ago. It got so bad I got to where I could'nt think anymore. I have a c&p physical and psyc exam next month and I have never had the psyc exam before. I am worried to death about saying the wrong thing as I have been told the examiner is looking for a reason to blame it on something else. I don't drink anymore, never used street drugs, never abused. Do I need to take all these letters in there and describe what paticular trauma caused this? There were so many different things I dont think I can pin point it exactly. I know this is alot to write, but I kinda wanted to throw it all out there so you'd have a better idea of whats going on. Yes, there is the sleep deprivation, sever anxiety, startled response, and I have a very short fuse. My gaf scoresthe last couple of years have been in the mid 30's to upper 40's. Nothing over 50. In 2007 and 2007 I was in and out of the hospital withall this, and one doc from Waco said I was bipolar. I disagree because I was not like this before. Any ideas?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
"I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD."

You have?

Who, What, When and Where?

'usmarine0311' reports " I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD ".

AKA Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & Major Depression Disorder.

Here is a link to additional clinical trials data....

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00025974

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder
'usmarine0311' reports " I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD ". http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00025974

Bob, I don't understand. Are you trying to tell me that he (usmarine0311) took part in the clinical trials conducted by the NIMH?

I was just wondering about his statement that he had been diagnosed with PTSD and MDD, and if he had such diagnoses then who did the diagnosis, when did they do the diagnosis, where did they do the diagnosis and why?

He may have all it takes to complete his claim? But, it's hard to tell with such an open-ended statement with which he started off his posting.

• HadIt.com Elder
Bob, I don't understand. Are you trying to tell me that he (usmarine0311) took part in the clinical trials conducted by the NIMH?

I was just wondering about his statement that he had been diagnosed with PTSD and MDD, and if he had such diagnoses then who did the diagnosis, when did they do the diagnosis, where did they do the diagnosis and why?

He may have all it takes to complete his claim? But, it's hard to tell with such an open-ended statement with which he started off his posting.

Sorry Larry, I do agree with the who, what & why ambiguity issues, you raise here.

No, I don't know if usmarine0311 was a participant in the clinical trials. Actually many vets are included in all kinds of clinical trials and don't know it.. We vets are lab rats in many clinical trials, that we are unaware of. Tonight the news mentioned a PSA clinical trial involving tens of thousands of vets. We could be two of them and not even know it. But that's a different topic.

I quickly posted this info for any guests or member reading this post. who could not follow all the acronyms...etc.. I misinterpreted your post. Again it's been a long day and I was trying to figure this topic out, myself...

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Good point, learned the hard way bout having solid diagnosis proof myself. Took many years to get it 'righted'. Get it in writing then proceed.

All the best to ya,

Cowgirl'up2009!

"I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD."

You have?

Who, What, When and Where?

Edited by cowgirl

Agreed, just be TOTALLY honest.

I recently went through your exact scenario, I do not drink anymore and do not use street drugs... so I get it. It may seem that because of this you have "lessened" your symptoms of PTSD, this is no the case. The first exam is crap, you will most likely be lowballed, don't let this get to you. I was awarded 10% and now after my 3rd try I am looking at 70-100% when I was awarded 10% to start.

This stuff sucks and it will be for a while, as for stressor letters.

What was your MOS?

Any combat awards (CIB, CMB, Bronze Star, Purple Heart)?

I was an 11B with a CIB and other awards so they did not require q written stressor letter. They did go through some detailed questioning about events though, so be prepared for that.

Good luck,

Mike

US Army 3rd ID

Mike, how different from the first C&P was the second one? my hubby has his c&p on feb. for the ptsd increase, he is becoming very anxious about this, nightmares are becoming more often and his sleep has become very disturbed (he suffers from chronic sleep apnea and has cpap machine), to the point that some nights I can not sleep with him....

I have been diagnosed with PSTD and MDD. I have talked to several Vietnam Era vets who have told me to write a stressor letter and to get buddy letters. I find this very difficult to write, because I have a tough time just trying not to think of the past. Honestly, my life has been a living hell the last 3-4 years. I remember how I used to be, and I look at myself now. I did a complete 180, and now I'm very much a recluse. I don't go see anyone, and I don't want anyone to come and see me. I have pretty much gotten rid of everyone I associated with. I don't go anywhere hardly without carying my weapon. I just literallyfeel vulnerable and naked without it. My mom says I just need to "snap out of it". She constantly tells me there is nothing wrong wth me, an that lots of men have been to Iraq and they seem fine. I don't discuss the past with her or anyone else. I can't. My marriage is constantly teetering on the rocks and I just had to quit working 3 years ago. It got so bad I got to where I could'nt think anymore. I have a c&p physical and psyc exam next month and I have never had the psyc exam before. I am worried to death about saying the wrong thing as I have been told the examiner is looking for a reason to blame it on something else. I don't drink anymore, never used street drugs, never abused. Do I need to take all these letters in there and describe what paticular trauma caused this? There were so many different things I dont think I can pin point it exactly. I know this is alot to write, but I kinda wanted to throw it all out there so you'd have a better idea of whats going on. Yes, there is the sleep deprivation, sever anxiety, startled response, and I have a very short fuse. My gaf scoresthe last couple of years have been in the mid 30's to upper 40's. Nothing over 50. In 2007 and 2007 I was in and out of the hospital withall this, and one doc from Waco said I was bipolar. I disagree because I was not like this before. Any ideas?

go to your exam and just answer the questions honestlyand truthfully and let me know what they say ok I know how you feel I was in your boat and it is hard hang in there and talk to me okay?

Bill