VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ischemic Heart Disease

Rate this question

N4XV

Question

I was diagnosed with CAD by the VA back in 1986 after an angiogram revealed two blockages, one 70% and the other 90%. The VA decided surgery or angioplasty was not warranted so they released me with meds. At the time I wasn’t SC and it was really hard getting the VA to treat me after that so I found a civilian cardio and he recommended angioplasty in 1987. The angioplasty went south on the table and I was rushed into open heart surgery for what turned out to be a triple bypass. Within 1 ½ yrs I suffered a heart attack as two of the three bypasses clogged up. A year after that the third one clogged causing another heart attack. My cardio said I’d never work again and he helped me apply for SSDI and it was approved at 100% disabled. So at age 44 I retired to FL. In 1993 I was diagnosed with DMII and treated with oral meds and restricted diet ever since. In 2001 I claimed to the VA for DMII by reason of AO and thru in CAD and CHF for good measure. They granted the DMII at 20% but denied the CAD and CHF because it developed before the DMII was diagnosed. Later I claimed tinnitus and it too was granted at 10%. 1. Now that IHD is AO related do I reopen my original claim for CAD or open a new one? 2. How will this affect any retro on the basis the original claim was filed in 2001? 3. If I am granted the CAD & CHF claim does the VA take into consideration that I’ve been 100% disabled for it in determining its’ rating? Here’s hoping someone out there has some answers to guide me in the right direction.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

GREAT question!!!!!

You obviously have ischemic heart disease and you already are an AO vet.

I would sure file the claim if I were you-I assume the SSDI is solely based on the totally disabling affects of the ischemic CAD.

The claim should be a TDIU claim- here is the form-

On # 18 Check yes and tell them you get SSDI for the ischemic heart disease.

On # 25 Remarks tell them you are referring them to separate page, put your name, address and C file number on it- mention the SSA award again and tell them any other info that shows you are unemployable due to ischemic heart disease-like side affects of the meds, etc-

Make sure you get a Proof of mailing from the PO (I always use priority with a tracking slip)-

The regs arent set in granite yet but by all means file the claim.

TDIU is paid at the 100% rate of comp.

TDIU_21_8940.pdf