VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus Letter?

Rate this question

smilen66

Question

Hello to all,

My private Podiatrist is willing to write a nexus statement/letter for my ankle. I've searched hadit and I am unable to locate a sample letter. I used the sample provided here for an IMO for another condition but I need the sample nexus letter for Tuesday's appointment. The Dr. that wrote the IMO appreciated the sample and of course she put her own spin to it. If anyone can help me with a draft, outline, or sample nexus letter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

It's best to be original with the nexus letter and just let your doc type it up their own way. Just remember that there are important incerpts such as "I have reviewed the veterans medical records" and "it is my opinion that his/her condition if more likely than not related to _____." You may want to consult with your VSO and see what they would recommend.

I have letters but the wording in them wouldn't do you any good since there are many ways these letters can be constructed. This would also be considered coaching and coaching isn't allowed here.

dh

Hello to all,

My private Podiatrist is willing to write a nexus statement/letter for my ankle. I've searched hadit and I am unable to locate a sample letter. I used the sample provided here for an IMO for another condition but I need the sample nexus letter for Tuesday's appointment. The Dr. that wrote the IMO appreciated the sample and of course she put her own spin to it. If anyone can help me with a draft, outline, or sample nexus letter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by darkhorse

Smilen,

Below is the format recommended by VA watchdog and most here on Hadit. I used this and the VA examiner commented on how well it was written. To key elements is the review of your SMR and the statement "it is at least likely as not " 50% is the burden of proof for the VA.

Good Luck

DATE

Reference: YOUR NAME

YOUR ADDRESS ETC.

To Whom It May Concern;

I am Dr. Quack. I am board certified to practice in my specialty. A CV is included.

Mr. John Doe is a patient under my care since DATE. His diagnosis is YOUR CONDITION, etc.

I have personally reviewed his medical history (NAME DOCUMENTS) and I've also reviewed his history of the (EVENT OR EVENTS YOU CLAIM ARE THE CAUSE OF YOUR CONDITION) while he served during his military service.

I am familiar with his history and have examined Mr. Doe often while he has been under my care. (SPECIFY LAB WORK, X-RAYS, ETC.)

Mr. John Doe has no other known risk factors that may have precipitated his current condition.

In my personal experience and in the medical literature it is known, ETC.

It is my opinion that it is more likely than not that Mr. John Doe's condition ETC.

SIGNED

Dr. Quack, M.D.

Smilen,

Below is the format recommended by VA watchdog and most here on Hadit. I used this and the VA examiner commented on how well it was written. To key elements is the review of your SMR and the statement "it is at least likely as not " 50% is the burden of proof for the VA.

Good Luck

DATE

Reference: YOUR NAME

YOUR ADDRESS ETC.

To Whom It May Concern;

I am Dr. Quack. I am board certified to practice in my specialty. A CV is included.

Mr. John Doe is a patient under my care since DATE. His diagnosis is YOUR CONDITION, etc.

I have personally reviewed his medical history (NAME DOCUMENTS) and I've also reviewed his history of the (EVENT OR EVENTS YOU CLAIM ARE THE CAUSE OF YOUR CONDITION) while he served during his military service.

I am familiar with his history and have examined Mr. Doe often while he has been under my care. (SPECIFY LAB WORK, X-RAYS, ETC.)

Mr. John Doe has no other known risk factors that may have precipitated his current condition.

In my personal experience and in the medical literature it is known, ETC.

It is my opinion that it is more likely than not that Mr. John Doe's condition ETC.

SIGNED

Dr. Quack, M.D.

Thanks, KW! I've seen this letter before however, I thought it was an IMO. Is there a difference between an IMO and a nexus? Since, my stroke I get a little confused and anxious when I attempt something new. Okay,now my podiatrist has 2 examples he can follow...the one you are sharing and the IMO written by my Orthopedic doctor. I'm straight now (I think).

Again, thanks so very much!

It's best to be original with the nexus letter and just let your doc type it up their own way. Just remember that there are important incerpts such as "I have reviewed the veterans medical records" and "it is my opinion that his/her condition if more likely than not related to _____." You may want to consult with your VSO and see what they would recommend.

I have letters but the wording in them wouldn't do you any good since there are many ways these letters can be constructed. This would also be considered coaching and coaching isn't allowed here.

dh

Thanks Darkhorse. I wasn't aware my request would be considered coaching. I reread forum rules but couldn't locate the rule pertaining to coaching. Thanks, again.

I thought you wanted someone to post their actual letter and then you would just fill in the blanks. That wouldn't be good. Now I understand your request.

Thanks for your service,

dh

Thanks Darkhorse. I wasn't aware my request would be considered coaching. I reread forum rules but couldn't locate the rule pertaining to coaching. Thanks, again.
  • HadIt.com Elder

Darkhorse:

Please do not make jokes about serious inquiries.Consider this a warning after some of the problems we have had here we take a dim view of people who are not seriously trying to help. Your posts remind me of cryptotech for some reason.

You have no reason to quote Hadit rules everyone can read them on their own.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Pete

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use