VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Much Longer For Ptsd C&p Exam?

Rate this question

IraqVet

Question

I origianlly put in my PTSD claim in back in 2004, and it has been denied twice, and finally was remanded by the board in D.C. On the remand they wanted to write the JSRRC to verify my stressors and I am glad they did because they verified all of them as well as my location etc, but also it said on the remand that I would be sceduled for a C&P exam. SO here is what I have for my PTSD evidence::

Two verified stressors by JSRRC and stressor letters from me on those events.

Signed letters from Soldiers I served side by side with that also witnessed stressors.

Three sererate diagnosis of PTSD with refrence to GAF scale latest one 45-50.

Pictures I took of my Hummve that was attacked while on patrol in Mosul.....as well as body parts/gore from IED.

Letter from my wife on how PTSD is effecting our life and her life with me.

Hospital Report of Suicide attempt.

So my two questions are I have been waiting since March for my C&P exam.....how long does it usually take to get one?

With a GAF scale of 45-50 what kind of PTSD rating should I expect?...I was told by my lawyer that with a 45-50 gaf I should expect a 70%.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

hi, it seems you have most of the info to service connect your ptsd. ONce you are service connected, the next step is severity of symptoms. Review criteria for mental health. A gaf score alone in itself will not get you 70%. THey need your diagnosis, Your progress notes which have other ptsd scores in it. You need to write a letter explaining how each of your symptoms impacts your life. Based on the current info, you are looking at 30-50%, but then again you may get 70%. I met all the criteria for 70% and they still low balled me to 50%, so go figure. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder
I origianlly put in my PTSD claim in back in 2004, and it has been denied twice, and finally was remanded by the Board in D.C. On the remand they wanted to write the JSRRC to verify my stressors and I am glad they did because they verified all of them as well as my location etc, but also it said on the remand that I would be sceduled for a C&P exam.

SO here is what I have for my PTSD evidence::

Two verified stressors by JSRRC and stressor letters from me on those events.

Signed letters from Soldiers I served side by side with that also witnessed stressors.

Three sererate diagnosis of PTSD with refrence to GAF scale latest one 45-50.

Pictures I took of my Hummve that was attacked while on patrol in Mosul.....as well as body parts/gore from IED.

Letter from my wife on how PTSD is effecting our life and her life with me.

Hospital Report of Suicide attempt.

So my two questions are I have been waiting since March for my C&P exam.....how long does it usually take to get one?

With a GAF scale of 45-50 what kind of PTSD rating should I expect?...I was told by my lawyer that with a 45-50 gaf I should expect a 70%.

Sometimes the VA will rate your service-connection without having to provide a C&P Exam, but that is the exception and not the general rule. If your medical evidence is sufficient for rating purposes, they can assign a percentage. If your medical evidence is undeveloped, then they would normally schedule a C&P Exam. Have you tried FAXING your VARO? Have you tried contact with your VAMC C&P Office? In my opinion, the IRIS system is the only in-road of communication that is fairly consistent, as it represents the "virtual VA" or a nation wide database. Have you tried asking this question in IRIS https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.ex...nduser/home.php ~~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

The major factor in awarding ratings over 50% is if you are working or not. The VA is not dumb. They know if you are awarded 70% it will not be long before they are getting a TDIU claim. So if you are working don't expect much more than 50%. If you are not working and you claim that it is due to PTSD then you should have sent in the TDIU form. The GAF score is just one factor in a rating. Mental health claims revolve around the ability to work and support yourself. Those able to work and support themselves and a family are not going to get ratings that put them in TDIU range. The first thing the C&P exam doctor will probably ask is "Are you working". If you had a physical injury and were able to work you could still get 100% but not for a mental health issue. This has been debated but I never got 70% until I was unable to work. My other symptoms were exactly the same as when I worked. Are you still working?

No I am not currently working due to PTSD symptoms, but there are some physical things that are not service connected that are keeping me from working as well, should I disclose this at the C&P exam or just tell them that it is just the PTSD that is keeping me from working.

On the remand they wanted to write the JSRRC to verify my stressors and I am glad they did because they verified all of them as well as my location etc, but also it said on the remand that I would be sceduled for a C&P exam. SO here is what I have for my PTSD evidence::

Iraqvet,

Since the BVA remand states you are to have a C&P, this request is supposed

to be followed inorder to fulfill the remand portion.

So you have been waiting for the C&P for about 7 months.

From the experience's I am familiar with I would speculate to guess that

you have another 5-11 months before your C&P will be conducted.

With the tremendous backlog of appeals, most of the C&P's scheduled due

to a BVA remand, happen about 12-18 months after the remand.

Hopefully I am wrong on this and your C&P will come sooner.

I agree with Wings, if you are going to contact the VA (but not in person)

I say the iris system is a bit better than a 800 phone call and you can print

it out and have a hard copy for your files.

Question - Do you have a head injury of record from this event

on active duty ?

jmho,

carlie

No I am not currently working due to PTSD symptoms, but there are some physical things that are not service connected that are keeping me from working as well, should I disclose this at the C&P exam or just tell them that it is just the PTSD that is keeping me from working.

IraqVet,

You should tell the truth.

What are the, " physical things that are not service connected that are keeping me from working".

Are you positive they have nothing to do with active duty, or could not be SC'd

as secondary to a SC'd condition?

carlie

Edited by carlie
more info.