VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temporary Sc Disability For Ao And Prostate Ca

Rate this question

Bill Pattison

Question

I need some help. I am currently receiving sc disability for prostate cancer (100%). I started receiving benefits in 2007, and had a radical prostatectomy that same year. Now, I am getting ready to retire from federal employment, and the disability money goes a long way to help with my retirement plans.

I just learned that my disability was declared temporary, but never received notification from VA (my employer). Now I am concerned that I can wake up some morning, and not have the sc disability check. My psa's are normal, but I am still having major problems with leakage and other related problems (ahem, read between the lines for that one).

Question, should I just lay low and pray that the checks keep coming, or tell someone? What exactly is the rule here? I always thought the temporary rule was 1 year.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I need some help. I am currently receiving sc disability for prostate cancer (100%). I started receiving benefits in 2007, and had a radical prostatectomy that same year. Now, I am getting ready to retire from federal employment, and the disability money goes a long way to help with my retirement plans.

I just learned that my disability was declared temporary, but never received notification from VA (my employer). Now I am concerned that I can wake up some morning, and not have the sc disability check. My psa's are normal, but I am still having major problems with leakage and other related problems (ahem, read between the lines for that one).

Question, should I just lay low and pray that the checks keep coming, or tell someone? What exactly is the rule here? I always thought the temporary rule was 1 year.

Bill, read the previous post on this valuable site. You will find that the 100% rating for prostate cancer is temporary. Eventually, the VA will contact you for a follow-up exam to determine what your residuals are. Depending on the residuals, the percentage will be reassigned and can be as little as 0, yes zero percent, service conected. That yeilds a whopping $89.00 per month and you're considered cured. Now, if the cancer returns (PSA rises consistantly over an extended period of time) and you are under ongoing treatment for an active malignancy, i.e. hormone theraphy, they will reinstate the 100% for as long as you are being treated. This is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth and you would be far better to plan for your retirement knowing the facts. This and more information including great links are here on this site. Keep reading! Your questions have been asked and answered before. Best wishes, vetII.

• HadIt.com Elder

It would seem that since the prostate gland is directly involved in the process to condition semen, it is involved in reproduction. The radical removal can be considered an A.O. related "anatomical" loss of a reproductive organ. The language in the regs and law is general enough to allow inclusion of any "organ" directly involved in the reproductive process, as is the prostate. And, the "anatomical" loss of a reproductive organ is a Special Schedule "K" item. The schedule applies to "anatomical" loss, even though the VA likes to deny if the loss does not result in sterility. To my way of thinking, "K" should have been paid as well as the 100%. This might be a "CUE" in that the VA should have considered and awarded "K" when it awarded the 100%. The VA likes to take the stance that it will only and reluctantly award for the named reproductive organs, and ignores the more general language. The last time I looked, I believe the "K" schedule called for $96, not $89 as in the past.

Bill, read the previous post on this valuable site. You will find that the 100% rating for prostate cancer is temporary. Eventually, the VA will contact you for a follow-up exam to determine what your residuals are. Depending on the residuals, the percentage will be reassigned and can be as little as 0, yes zero percent, service connected. That yields a whopping $89.00 per month and you're considered cured. Now, if the cancer returns (PSA rises consistently over an extended period of time) and you are under ongoing treatment for an active malignancy, i.e. hormone therapy, they will reinstate the 100% for as long as you are being treated. This is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth and you would be far better to plan for your retirement knowing the facts. This and more information including great links are here on this site. Keep reading! Your questions have been asked and answered before. Best wishes, vetII.
Edited by Chuck75

It would seem that since the prostate gland is directly involved in the process to condition semen, it is involved in reproduction. The radical removal can be considered an A.O. related "anatomical" loss of a reproductive organ. The language in the regs and law is general enough to allow inclusion of any "organ" directly involved in the reproductive process, as is the prostate. And, the "anatomical" loss of a reproductive organ is a Special Schedule "K" item. The schedule applies to "anatomical" loss, even though the VA likes to deny if the loss does not result in sterility. To my way of thinking, "K" should have been paid as well as the 100%. This might be a "CUE" in that the VA should have considered and awarded "K" when it awarded the 100%. The VA likes to take the stance that it will only and reluctantly award for the named reproductive organs, and ignores the more general language. The last time I looked, I believe the "K" schedule called for $96, not $89 as in the past.

Been temporary 100% for prostate cancer for two years now. I have had surgery, radiation, and hormonal treatment which was stopped on Oct. 2008. My psa was undeterminable until June 2009 when it started to rise. The VA sent me a letter saying they would retest me for any residuals on June of 2009 but they did not. My psa is now .35 and rising. My doctor said I would restart hormonal treatment in the future. I just wondered why did not the VA contact me last June and I continue to receive 100% . My doctor will not send any letters to the VA stating that I am will always be under treatment for the rest of my life. So I guess my question is should I contact the VA and seek out the status of my temporary 100% or just wait for them to contact me.

Thanks all

Peace, Cuchi