VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Social Security Exams

Rate this question

usmarine0311

Question

I have a VA psychiatric exam next month and now social security wants me to have one now. I have a big problem with this because the last one the SSA cancelled it. Why must I have two different exams when social security has been using mainly VA Medical records. What are the differences in the two exams and does the SSA have to have the graphic details? I mean SSA has letters to them from my VA docs and all, so why do I need a seperate test. I'm sorry but sometimes I feel like telling them where they can all put it. What I guess is the SSA exam like has anyone had one?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

One difference is that the SSA doctors might award solely for your SC conditons and if they do -this is excellent evidence for a TDIU claim.

Also they are independent of the VA so you might get a better opinion from them then from the VA.

This was the same scenario for my husband (USMC too) SSA awarded for PTSD and then VA did as well.They nevcer mentioned TDIU but awarded 100% P & T and gave the same earluiest effective date for 100%SC for PTSD as the SSA gave him.His PTSD records were entirely VA records too.The VA however didnt read them or access all of them but SSA did.

• HadIt.com Elder

What the SSA exam wants to find out is if you are capable of doing any kind of work. They rate you as either employable or not employable. Their exams are like any second opinion exams. They hire doctors who are willing to do the paperwork. Most really good doctors don't do SSA exams. They can make more money doing procedures. You usually get the same sort of bottom feeders you get for VA exams and workers compensation and disability insurance claims. You need to cooperate in all details with the SSA examination. If you start to argue or resist the exam you will find your SSD cut off in a hurry. All they have to say is that you did not cooperate with the exam and you are history. If you cooperate with the exam you have appeal rights even if they deny you. If you don't cooperate you have appeal rights as well, but you get cut off in the meantime. If you want your SSD you have to go along with the program. SSD means a check and medicare. It is worth some aggravation for this benefit.

• HadIt.com Elder

usmarine

Be glad that you have the exams scheduled as usually and answer cvomes a few weeks or months after the exam. Your VA exam will be a lot different than SSD and each agency uses the exam to justify or deny awards.

Don't dress up for the exams and remember when they ask you a question to answer in the context of how it is when you are home not in the exam room.

Good Luck

I was initially rated at 50% SC for PTSD. I brought SS a copy of my decision letter and also got a copy of all my mental health notes from the VA. You can go to ROI in your local VA and get these. I submitted these documents with my application and got approved without a SS exam in less than 6 weeks. You should even get a copy of your C&P exam notes from your VA to submit to them. The problem that I found is that the VA is slow in sending your records to the SSA and it is faster to request them yourself and submit them.