VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Medication

Rate this question

Papa

Question

My private doctor has me on medication for depression, but not for PTSD. I will most likely be looking for a new doctor, since he told me that all veterans just need to get over it and stop using this as an excuse. Thats another story for another day. I seem to wonder or my thoughts seem to wonder sometimes, please for give me. Since, I will NOT go near a Veterans Hospital, what are some of the medications that are being used? Even with a lap band, I can not stop eating, and I know it is my PTSD. If I were doing drugs, drinking booze, this would be taken seriously, but food :)

Papa

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My private doctor has me on medication for depression, but not for PTSD. I will most likely be looking for a new doctor, since he told me that all veterans just need to get over it and stop using this as an excuse. Thats another story for another day. I seem to wonder or my thoughts seem to wonder sometimes, please for give me. Since, I will NOT go near a Veterans Hospital, what are some of the medications that are being used? Even with a lap band, I can not stop eating, and I know it is my PTSD. If I were doing drugs, drinking booze, this would be taken seriously, but food :angry:

Papa

Papa,

Many of the RX drugs are written for both depression and PTSD.

Have you gotten a diagnosis of PTSD from a Mental Health provider yet ?

What Rx did the doc write for your "depression" ?

Do you have a VET CENTER near you?

Drop the doc you have - he's a judgemental SOB, over something he should not be

making judgemental calls and statement's like that on.

The first psychiatrist I ever saw at VA for PTSD, told me to,

"turn it all over to God" I stood up and reached across her desk

trying to grab her by the throat.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I would go to a VA mental health provider. All private shrinks do anyway is prescribe drugs. You can get those from the VA. Remember you can get SC for depression easier than PTSD if you have record of treatment or dx in your SMR's. Using the VA for conditions you want to get SC'ed for is good. You are providing yourself with tons of documentation that is at the VA's finger tips.

Papa,

Carlie is giving you good advise, go to your VAMC or VA outpatient clinic. If you have been dianosed with PTSD you need help sooner then later. I waited 41 years and now it is doubtful that any therapy will make me whole again, so I take all the meds they give me amd wait to be SC'd. Are you providing for a family? If you can't work and are on your backside financially becasue of the PTSD if you can be SC'd there is a good chance you will get rated and receive a monthly stipend. Get help!!

My private doctor has me on medication for depression, but not for PTSD. I will most likely be looking for a new doctor, since he told me that all veterans just need to get over it and stop using this as an excuse. Thats another story for another day. I seem to wonder or my thoughts seem to wonder sometimes, please for give me. Since, I will NOT go near a Veterans Hospital, what are some of the medications that are being used? Even with a lap band, I can not stop eating, and I know it is my PTSD. If I were doing drugs, drinking booze, this would be taken seriously, but food :rolleyes:

Papa

hey, papa - i actually was awarded my claim for obesity secondary to ptsd. and they r working with me on it. i think they r taking it serious now. just an fyi...it may be worth going near a VA hospital.

hey, papa - i actually was awarded my claim for obesity secondary to ptsd. and they r working with me on it. i think they r taking it serious now. just an fyi...it may be worth going near a VA hospital.

Thanks for the info clw4514. But, how did you do this? I can document that I started having problems and gaining weight before and after I left the military. I also have sleep apena and Hypothyrodism. I have an appeal for DMII that I know is AO and obesity related. But, you are correct, I need to go the the VA, but God I hate the place and the trust is just not their. I'm sure they have improved, I'm sure they have improved, I'm sure they have improved,...If, I keep telling myself that, maybe I will start believing it. :rolleyes:

Papa