VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Decision Letter Today

Rate this question

celli

Question

I posted a few weeks ago (see below along with my c&p results). I was denied IU and increased to 70% which I accept. I am not sure how all this works but I applied for Voc Rehab today. There was a page in my packet that didn't belong to me. I served during the Gulf War Era (as they stated) and there is a page about a Vietnam Vet and what he has been dealing with. It was extremely traumatic to read and I cant get the thoughts out of my mind the way it was described. I wish I didn't read it. And I can't even IMAGINE how he feels. I keep thinking about him and what he went through. Does this happen often where someone with PTSD receives information about another PTSD patient and it causes even more stress? What should I do? I don't think I will be sleeping much tonight. May God bless you all.

(my previous post)

I am currently rated 50% for anxiety disorder. I had my c&p exam in July. I obtained a copy of my c&p exam and I am not sure how this works. The following is what was typed by the examiner: (if anyone can give me their thoughts opinions on how this may turn out I would appreciate it)

Axis I: generalized anxiety disorder

Axis II: no dx

Axis III: various sicknesses, surgeries, etc over the years

Axis IV: Anxiety symptoms; job problems

Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning

Score: 42 Time Frame: current functioning

Comments: There are serious impairments in her ability to interact with others. She has continued to have this problem despite medication and therapy. There have been numerous and ongoing difficulties getting along with bosses and coworkers. These problems (irritability and crying under pressure) caused her to be fired from her most recent job. She has had approx. 10 jobs in the 15 yrs since her discharge from service.

Does each diagnosis of mental disorder meet the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria? YES

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were denied IU and you are not able to work you should appeal the decision.

Your Exam show someone who should be getting 100% if not working.I am not a Doc or a rater its my opinion.

Is there anyway the page about the Vietnam vet can identify him or at least his C file number or vet rep or service POA?

It could be critical to his claim. I suggest you return this to the RO but it still might not get into his C file. Unl;ess there is a C file number on it.

I put my C file number and a name and address sticker on each piece of everything I send to the VA, this way even though they dont read my stuff- if they make a paper airplane out of something I sent, and they fly it down Elmwood Street in Buffalo, someopne could find it and then maybe have it put back into my C fil;e -for them to ignore again. :)

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were increased to 70% and are unable to work what you need is a letter from a doctor saying that your are unable to work solely due to your SC conditions. With a 70% rating you should be able to get IU. I had the same problem. I went from 30% to 70% but was denied IU. I got an IMO to say I was unable to work solely due to my SC condition. While you are at it say have the doctor say you are permanently disabled. That should get you IU and P&T. Just from reading your C&P exam you should have gotten IU or 100%. Did the VA say that the reason you could not work was due to non service connected issues? That is an old trick.

celli,

Congrats on your increase.

Ditto on Pete53 and John999's post.

If the other veterans name is on that record try to look that vet up

on Zaba People Search and see if you can mail it to that vet.

jmho,

carlie

Strangely, my name and file number is on the top of the page containing information about the Vietnam Veteran. This is very upsetting to me because as someone stated, I'm not sure if HIS file is missing this page. Very frustrating indeed and upsetting.

As for the IU denied, the reason for decision..it states:

---------------

Evaluation of General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks currently evaluated as 70% disabling. During the evaluation th examiner noted you were clean, neatly groomed, appropriately dressed. The exam reported psychomotor activity of hand wringing and tense. Your affect was flat. Your mood was anxious, hopeless, depressed, and dysphoric, slow in completing tasks, thought content was suicidal ideation, homicidal idiation and phobias. Sleep impaired, obsessive/ritualistic behavior, panic attacks when I go to certain places and impair my ability to function. Easily frustrated in completing tasks and becomes very emotional and cries if you are under pressure. The examiner diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. It is not appropriate to establish entitlement to IU when you are no longer able to work in your chosen occupation, but rather it must be shown that you are entirely unable to work at any type of gainful employment at all due solely to your SCD. The examiner opined there is not a total occupational impairment due to generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks.

---------------end

HOWEVER, on my C&P results the copy I HAVE states: Is there total and social impairment due to mental disorder signs and symptoms? YES

Does this make sense?

Strangely, my name and file number is on the top of the page containing information about the Vietnam Veteran. This is very upsetting to me because as someone stated, I'm not sure if HIS file is missing this page. Very frustrating indeed and upsetting.

As for the IU denied, the reason for decision..it states:

---------------

Evaluation of General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks currently evaluated as 70% disabling. During the evaluation th examiner noted you were clean, neatly groomed, appropriately dressed. The exam reported psychomotor activity of hand wringing and tense. Your affect was flat. Your mood was anxious, hopeless, depressed, and dysphoric, slow in completing tasks, thought content was suicidal ideation, homicidal idiation and phobias. Sleep impaired, obsessive/ritualistic behavior, panic attacks when I go to certain places and impair my ability to function. Easily frustrated in completing tasks and becomes very emotional and cries if you are under pressure. The examiner diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. It is not appropriate to establish entitlement to IU when you are no longer able to work in your chosen occupation, but rather it must be shown that you are entirely unable to work at any type of gainful employment at all due solely to your SCD. The examiner opined there is not a total occupational impairment due to generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks.

---------------end

HOWEVER, on my C&P results the copy I HAVE states: Is there total and social impairment due to mental disorder signs and symptoms? YES

Does this make sense?

One word - APPEAL <_<