VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It Also Affects The Family

Rate this question

johnc515

Question

I know this is not the right place to post this, but I thought I share a local story of a veterans dependent suffering from exposure to toxic smoke in Atsugi, Japan.

Link to Article: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/military-ve...tory?id=8780874

Please visit his Caring bridge page: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jordanpaganelli

When Laurie Paganelli and her son Jordan, 5, moved to the U.S. Naval Air facility at Atsugi, Japan, in 1997, they felt safe -- free from the dangers of the front lines of war.

Little did they know, Paganelli says, a silent killer was lurking above the base, putting the health and safety of her family at risk: A giant plume of toxic smoke, drifting from a nearby Japanese incinerator, floated through the homes where U.S. military families lived and the schoolyards where children, including Jordan, played, experts say.

In 1990, a U.S. Department of the Navy document reportedly called the cloud a "witch's brew of toxic chemicals."

"It smelled, burned your eyes, and sometimes added a greenish glow to the air around us," Pagnelli told the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs today. "We certainly were not aware of the effects it would have on our family years later."

On Jan. 11, 2008, doctors diagnosed Jordan, then 16, with a rare and aggressive form of cancer, Alveolar Rhabdo-Myo-Sarcoma (ARMS). Paganelli and several doctors believe Jordan's exposure to the Atsugi incinerator's toxic plume is at least partly to blame for the disease.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe every AFB is a toxic waste dump. Think of all the jet fuel that has leaked out over the years. I know that MacDill AFB near my home is a toxic waste site. It was the home of SAC for many years. Now it is the home of Central Command for the wars in Iraq and Agghanistan. The land it sits on is very valuable, but it will cost millions if not billions to clean it. I bet many military bases are toxic waste sites. They were going to close it, but pressure kept it open at MacDill.

• HadIt.com Elder
I believe every AFB is a toxic waste dump. Think of all the jet fuel that has leaked out over the years. I know that MacDill AFB near my home is a toxic waste site. It was the home of SAC for many years. Now it is the home of Central Command for the wars in Iraq and Agghanistan. The land it sits on is very valuable, but it will cost millions if not billions to clean it. I bet many military bases are toxic waste sites. They were going to close it, but pressure kept it open at MacDill.

It costs the government millions to clean up each base they close and decide to turn over to civilians for use, solvents, the old laundries used that PCE chemical for dry cleaning which is in all of the soil and aquifers the same chemical they are complaining about at El Toro and that Marine Corp base on the East Coast where they have high rates of male breast cancers....