VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Quetiapine

Rate this topic

Anyone had any experience with quetiapine? Such as any side effects, etc?

Also VA psyc put me on 100 mg in August 09 and by Oct 09 they seemed to reduce the nightmares considerably but now it seems the nightmares are back and bad as ever. It seems unusual that they were helping and now they're not.

Even the nights I don't remember having nightmares the wife says my arms and legs are moving all over the place. Has anyone had this kind of experience with this drug?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My Phsyc put me on 1MG of Prazosin for PTSD nightmares, didn't seem to help but since it is primarely for reducing an enlarged prostrate it did lower my blood pressure and made me dizzy, so the doc says take 2MG and see if that works. Now mind you I'm 65 with an at rest BP of 110 over 70, my pulse is 53 and I have zero prostrate problems so my question to the doc is "isn't there anything else other than this for PTSD nightmares"? Doc says try the 2MG won't hurt you!! Guess what? Still have nightmares, still flail arms and legs and get very dizzy when I stand up so I quit taking the Prazosin!! Should I inquire about the Quetiapine? Been fighting in my sleep since 1967, no wonder I'm always tired!!

Ruffcreek and pigdriver,

I like my Quetiapine - it is also called Seroquel.

I also take a .25 mg doseage during the daytime as needed

along with clonazepam 1 mg during the day as needed.

Do keep in mind - a certain drug may help one person a certain way

and another person, a different way.

carlie

Carlie and pigdriver,

Thanks for your responses.

I am also on 10 mg of Prazosin and 150 mg of Sertaline. Don't really know if they are effective or not since I've tried so many. I'm sure he will adjust the Quetiapine if I call him back. Just feel kind of embarrassed since I told him a month ago it was helping.

For what it's worth Pigdriver, I would ask your Dr about the Quetiapine. I know exactly what you're talking about with the sleep problems. I'm 62 and been dealing with it for many years.

Sometimes I also wonder about the side effects of the medication especially taking with other drugs, even though they tell me there should be minimal effects. I'm also on metformin, lisinopril, simvastati, triglide, loratadine, levothroxine and allopurinol.

Ruffcreek

• In Memoriam

Sometimes my leg kicks around and startles me when trying to sleep. When I finally realize that the kicking is not a regular California earthquake, and that I now live in Arkansas, I try to go back to sleep. Sometimes the quetiapine just doesn't work. Sometimes it knocks me out.

I think this hit or miss situation is because of the quality of the drug. Seems that it is not always consistent.

I would not try to bump it up just because you could have gotten an inconsistent batch.

Edited by Stretch