VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received My Claim For Service Connected Disability

Rate this question

Blackhawk12

Question

I submitted a claim several months ago and had a C&P exam. Issues at hand were knee problem, heart palpitations, skin rash, and PTSD.

I recently came off of active duty (National Guard) after deploying to Iraq. After 20 years of service in both active/reserve this is the first time I have claimed any type of disability so I don't think I took it as serious or researched it like I should have. I filled out the online claim form (VA.gov) and that is pretty much it...I sort of thought that they would really do a comprehensive evaluation and find out what was wrong with me...I was wrong.

The claim reads as follows:

Descision:

1. Service connection for PTSD is denied.

2. Service connection for idiopathic heart palpitations is denied.

3. Service connection for knee medial femoral joint narrowing is denied.

4. Service connection for generalized hypersensitivity of the skin is denied.

I don't understand if the VA is saying that the issues above are not something that occurred or was made worse by active duty (service connected) or are they saying that it is not serious enough to warrant any type of compensation???

As far as the PTSD is concerned I don't really know what happended with that. When the Physician Ass. started my exam she started out by saying that the evaluation (exam) was for all of the issues listed above, but did not mention PTSD. I was not surpised when she did not address any of the issues regarding PTSD because I sort of thought that another Dr. would evaluate that issue seperately. What do you guys recommend? I am going to a civilian dr. and going to try and get a real diagnosis for my other conditions (I have two scars on my knee from diving into a bunker on an IED attack and the knee will pop out of place...all they did was an x-ray.). Thanks.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I submitted a claim several months ago and had a C&P exam. Issues at hand were knee problem, heart palpitations, skin rash, and PTSD.

I recently came off of active duty (National Guard) after deploying to Iraq. After 20 years of service in both active/reserve this is the first time I have claimed any type of disability so I don't think I took it as serious or researched it like I should have. I filled out the online claim form (VA.gov) and that is pretty much it...I sort of thought that they would really do a comprehensive evaluation and find out what was wrong with me...I was wrong.

Descision:

I don't understand if the VA is saying that the issues above are not something that occurred or was made worse by active duty (service connected) or are they saying that it is not serious enough to warrant any type of compensation???

As far as the PTSD is concerned I don't really know what happended with that. When the Physician Ass. started my exam she started out by saying that the evaluation (exam) was for all of the issues listed above, but did not mention PTSD. I was not surpised when she did not address any of the issues regarding PTSD because I sort of thought that another Dr. would evaluate that issue seperately. What do you guys recommend? I am going to a civilian dr. and going to try and get a real diagnosis for my other conditions (I have two scars on my knee from diving into a bunker on an IED attack and the knee will pop out of place...all they did was an x-ray.). Thanks.

can you post the findings and reasons for denial blackout your personal information.

Your C&P for PTSD, should of been seperate from the other Claims.

To my Knowledge a DR in the area of the aligamentshould of did the the C&P exam

Your claims are seperate from each other in most cases

• HadIt.com Elder

You have one year to send in a Notice of disagreement. Be damn sure you do that. It sounds to me like you got an idiot for a c&p examination. This happens when the person doing the exam has no idea what they are doing. Your PTSD exam should have been done by a psychiatrist. Did you have combat action badge or CIB or PH?

I sort of thought that they would really do a comprehensive evaluation and find out what was wrong with me...I was wrong.

Don't hold your breath on this.

Descision:

If possible please post EXACTLY what the Rating Decision states

in the Evidence and Reasons and Bases Section's.

The VA isn't denying that you may have the above disabilities

BUT

they are denying any of them are connected to your active duty.

The first order is to be able to get the disabilities service connected.

(I have two scars on my knee from diving into a bunker on an IED attack and the knee will pop out of place...all they did was an x-ray.)

By chance are you still in touch with any of your active duty buddies

that were there during this IED attack and would they be willing to write you a buddy ststement ?

carlie

Sorry for resurecting an old thread...after I posted the initial request the computer that I was using stopped allowing access to this site. I am now set up to get on as needed. If the moderators would like a new topic started I will do so and I apologize.

The Rating Decision states:

WHAT WE DECIDED:

We determined that the following condition(s) was/were not realted to your military service so service connection couldn't be granted.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I will be the first to admit that I did not do a very good job prior to submitting my paperwork to the VA. I have since gotten with a VSO and I am working on an appeal. The problem lies with obtaining the proof through medical records during my service--that won't happen. I am in the National Guard and was in Iraq 2008-09 and assigned to a very small FOB...I went to see the medical personnel on all issues, but they would simply give you some Motrin/Ambien/or a guaze pad and send you on your way...nothing was put into MEDPROS or medical records (sp??). I am in the process of getting statements from those members that I served with to verify my statements.

I also went to a civilian Chiropratcor for a claim on my back/neck. The Chiropractor stated on his diagnosis the following:

Segmental Dysfunction Thoracic

Segmental Dysfunction Lumbar

Sacroiliac Segmental Dusfunction

Deep and Superficial MM SPasms

Facet Syndrom

Neuralgia/Neuritis

Not getting any relief I went to a civilian doctor and had three MRI's to my back/neck. His statement stated MRI was negative except for minor degenerative changes in the lower cervical spine. I went through physical therapy and still have the same issues. I connect the injury to the amount of body armor worn on missions and at the FOB I was at we wore it any time you were not in the tent. I believe the constant downward pressure caused the issues, but don't have a medical diagnosis while I was on Active duty to substantiate that claim.

With regards to the skin issue I saw an Army flight surgeon for an annual flight physical and told her about the issues (I was seen for it twice while in Iraq and told it was heat rash...and you guessed it, no medical records on that either). The flight surgeon wrote me a letter and stated ...during the exam a diagnostic test was performed and dermographism (ICD-9 708.3) was demonstrated be a positive triple reponse Darier's sign (whatever that means). I have been using Zyrtec 10mg daily for the last 1 1/2 years to try and help the situation.

With reagrds to my claim for knee injuries I am working on getting a statement regarding the injury to my knee...once again I was seen by the Flight Surgeon and bandaged up...no records were done. In the Rating Decision it states: The VA exam shows no diagnosis of any chronic left knee disorder. There was x-ray evidence of mild femeral/tibial joint space narrowing, however narrowing of the joint is not a disability under the law. The evidence fails to show you were treated for a chronic left knee condition in service.

Like I said I am working with a VRO and have submitted an appeal. I am in the process of getting letters regarding the disabilities I claim to prove they occurred while on active duty. Question #1 should I request my VA medical records to include my C&P exam? #2 Should I go to a civilian ortho Dr. and hopefully get some more in depth testing done on my knees (i.e. MRI) or should I hope the VA will do it? I am smart enough to know that an X-ray is not going to show the reason your knees are popping in and out of place.

I would like to thank everyone for their time in this matter...I have read through many old posts and could not find an answer that would fit my situation. Thanks again.