VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Rating For Ptsd

Rate this question

hawkcrewchief

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yes- you are right=----it pays to ask for PTSD shrink appointments-yourself - because if you don't have a consistent treatment record for PTSD - they can say you have no current treatment records when they "examine in the future".

Did they suggest any PTSD groups at your VAMC or a vet center?

EVen if you get5 appointments with a PTSD shrink that are months apart- at least some documentation of vet center or other PTSD group attendance shows you are getting treatment.

Others might disagree with me but PTSD vets have to establish and maintain a paper trail-otherwise down the road VA could propose to reduce their comp.

It happened to my husband-he had limited shrink records after we moved to NY from the local VA. They did put him into Voc Rehab and gave his a part time VA job and then one semester og college and 2 months on the job they said he was suddenly a rocket scientist and proposed to reduce his comp-30% PTSD at that time.

They dropped that idea when they got the NOD.

With a few years he became totally disabled by PTSD and other independent SC conditions.The initial 30 % itself was way too low.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
I got my rating for PTSD and TBI, but on the award letter it says I will be examed in the future. Right now my psychologist gave me enough meds for about two months. Should I continue scheduling visits, or what? I cAlled my doctors office and they said that whenthe meds run out that's when they'll schedule an exam. I guess if that's what they want I'll go with it. Maybe this is a dum question but shouldn't they be meeting with me more often? I'm thinking he's just Going with the meds for now...? I'm confused

Sounds like you are getting seen every 2 months my shrink sees me every 3 months and usually wrotes my prescriptions a year at a time regular visits and meds are what you need to maintain a presence for treatment nothing says you have to see them monthly or even weekly or do a group session etc, nor an inpatient program I have never done any of those things I have only ever seen my shrink in one on ones and have been getting meds monthly mailed to me I have never been questioned about it

wheremany vets get into trouble is once they get the comp check they quit the meds and quit the med appts with their shrinks or quit their groups etc and then they complain when they get called in for a re-evaluation I am also 100% P&T and they have quit re-evaluating me but I know due to other emdical issues they can call me in and re-evaluate all of my medical issues when ever they feel like it....just keep ordering the drugs they prescribe and don't miss appts they make for you and you should be fine

• HadIt.com Elder

By all means keep getting treatment for the PTSD. If they prescribe drugs take them. Like both Berta and TestVet say even if you are 100% you need to stay in treatment. Commit yourself to a life time of treatment at the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your question has been answered by others, but believe me keep all medical treatments records and appointments.

Had I not had every single medical record from date of discharge in 1964 to date, I would have never won, finally after 40 years, my claim for " Chronic Anxiety.

The grant by the BVA Judge was nice, but sure would have helped my family and my daughters when they were younger when they had a mother who was afraid to drive vehicle or even go into a store. My daughters lost out on the education benefits, because by the time I was granted they were beyond the age limit.

A lot of my medical records of that time period were mere hand written scribble, but by the hands of our Dear Lord, the Physican who wrote those medical records was still alive and had his license to practive medicine.

The AMC and the R.O described his medical records as being illegible, and discounted them, but the BVA Judge had no problem reading his typed up letter of the same medical records.

The retro was nice, but I think you get the gist of what I am saying.

Paper trail by all means.

Always,

Betty

Edited by Josephine

Thanks very much guys! This is exactly what I wanted to hear, I am currently taking my meds and will follow all o your advice. I will continue to fill my meds and will go to all my appointments. I agreed to one on one counseling but haven't gotten any yet, i agree with the fact that I need to be ready to commit to life with the VA.

Thanks again to all this place rocks!

Hawk,

Personally I would argue for a permanent rating, however it may be advantageous of you to wait and develop a continuing care pattern with your psych. doctor. In any case you really really should continue care with the doctor no matter what. It really does help, and often we (the person with the problem) cannot even see that there is a problem.

I have been going to my VA shrink since I have been in the VA system, and I gotta be honest it has helped. If nothing else it has made me aware of some of the behavior that I exhibit that causes some problem with relating with other people, etc. I jump at the slightest noise to this day. If someone touches me when I am asleep I intantly strike out... to this very day. I still have nightmares, and I doubt they will ever go away, but... the couseling and treatment have helped. The thing is, I dont know WHY I am showing these symptoms since I really dont have PTSD... just major depression etc. At least they havent diagnosed it, but truthfully with my rating maxed it would make no difference except mabey helping with treatment. All I know is I am a lot calmer... a LOT, than before I started the couseling and meds, etc.

I do reccomend that you see a shrink at a local clinic, instead of a VAMC because it seems to me that you get a huge increase in care, and actual concern when you are dealing with the same person and they you over long periods of time.

Anyway man... best of luck.