VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hives/urticaria

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I've had chronic hives (urticaria) for 9 years now. I'm still on active duty but think maybe I should claim this when I retire next year. I take alegra and zrytec daily for this (which does seem to control the hives) I have break outs if I forget to take a daily pill. I saw one dermatogolist and he said I may have an auto-immune system problem. Anyway does anyone think I may get a rating for this when I apply??

Also the condition started 9 years ago when I was in Kuwait. I was exploring a bombed out bunker and picked up a metal casing from a bomb (not thinking anything about it). A couple days later I broke out in hives and have had them ever since. Every doc I tell this story to says it is not related and starts the (have you changed soap, laundry detergent, eaten anything differnt lately BS)

I sure would like to be cured, but I feel I will be on meds for the rest of my life.

Thoughts ??

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I was  diagnosed while in the Marines in 1987 with idiopathic urticaria.. I didn't file a claim until last year and got  a  30% rating although by VA  standards I rate  60% which I am appealing... YES CLAIM IT  SOON AS YOU GET OUT

Yes- make sure this is on your discharge certificate and don't leave the Mil without your SMRs.I assume your treatment was from Military so the records of that are in your SMRs.

I put into a search browser at the BVA

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

Kuwait Hives and 9 cases popped up- which necessarily doesn't mean they all could help but the VA has service connected hives and there is rating info in the cases.

These cases can help you determine what type of rating you could expect for the hives.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would definitely file a claim for it. Hives is usually an allergic reaction to something. Allergies can develop at any time. Be sure to have the necessary service records available, for the VA, showing when it started.

pr

I've had chronic hives (urticaria) for 9 years now. I'm still on active duty but think maybe I should claim this when I retire next year. I take alegra and zrytec daily for this (which does seem to control the hives) I have break outs if I forget to take a daily pill. I saw one dermatogolist and he said I may have an auto-immune system problem. Anyway does anyone think I may get a rating for this when I apply??

Also the condition started 9 years ago when I was in Kuwait. I was exploring a bombed out bunker and picked up a metal casing from a bomb (not thinking anything about it). A couple days later I broke out in hives and have had them ever since. Every doc I tell this story to says it is not related and starts the (have you changed soap, laundry detergent, eaten anything differnt lately BS)

I sure would like to be cured, but I feel I will be on meds for the rest of my life.

Thoughts ??

has anyone done an allergy stick test on you, and if so why the heck not... but yeah you can claim it, it would attempt to make sure your service records indicate the following (I know its hard getting docs to SAY anything on paper but Id try)..

1. location, size and description of the rash (i.e oozing sores, scabs, especially around the face and exposed body areas)

2. general number of outbreaks per year and any limitation or reduction of motion due to sores, scabs etc.

3. affect upon work, does the rash cause you to miss work or be on profile (a statement from your supervisor and a couple of people you work with as to the extent, severity and limitations the illness imposes)

4. Id prepare a statement to the affect of how the rash might limit you daily activities due to embarassment etc. NOT trying to be cruel here, but its an important point. You might get your wife, significant other to write a letter in support. These of course along with the supervisor statements I would include into the med record if possible, if not them keep them and include them with claim.

5. Any scaring caused by the scabs and outbreaks.

Again I know how hard it is to get this stuff in but you have a bit of time and I would certainly go in to sick call every single time there was an outbreak. Also maybe you could get a letter from someone who might have seen you handle the ordinance in Kuwait.

It is VERY important to show a continuance of care for the injury. You probably have other things you could claim as well... most vets do they just dont know it.

Bob Smith