VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Frustration

Rate this question

ssg_rw_brown

Question

My husband had his C & P and we got the rating back last week. I am so frustrated and agrivated I just want to rip my hair out. I knew it would not be good but to see it in black and white just made me so angry.

First I acutally went into the C & P with him. I hadn't before because they wouldn't "allow"me to. But after research when the C& P rater said "do you need to be here" my husband said I would like her to be and he said "oh, o.k" that simple! Wow!

So we go into the room and he asks my hsuband all these questions and when he would say well I dont' think it's a problem but my wife would disgree I would explain. I would even raise my hand and ask if I could comment and he would say yes, and write as I spoke. So i thought he might be listening....wrong....Everything we said he said no, I don't think it's TBI it's the PTSD. Which angered me because at the PTSD hearing they said it was all the TBI!

Everything I read about TBI and the symptoms associated with it I brought up. The change in tastes, he said awe that's just a preference. Problems with concept of time and place, when he passes out and comes to he thinks he's in Iraq. The sleep deprivation, the change in personality, the anger and hostility, the paranoia. Not being able to make minute decisions such as what to have for dinner. Calling me 30 times a day to ask me a how to do the littlest thing, the C & P guy just "poo poo" it as irrelevant! and then when we go the ruling letter nothing, I mean nothing was in there about what we had told him! I wrote this long letter with all of it in there and nothing was mentioned about the letter I wrote nor the other 2 letters we sent either from friends and family's observations How do I know they even read them? I just don't know where to go from here! Everything they mention in the rulings says to be at the next level you would have to have x? and he has that and we mentioned it in meeting and in the letters. He goes for a complete Neuro work up on the 23rd of this month so my only hope is that will help and we can possibly get something in writting there but not even sure now. I just feel like I am getting no where and don't know what else to do. Thanks for letting me vent!

wife of

SSG_RW_Brown

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

May I ask what symptoms you have that rate you 100% TBI? or is that to personal?

The thing about CT and MRI is that even if they show something, you may get SC, but they are useless for rating functional impairment.

By law, in order to get higher than a 40% rating in the attention and memory facet of the TBI DC8045, functional impairment must be seen on objective testing. This testing is neuro-psychological testing. This testing and this testing alone can determine the difference between functional impairment due to TBI or PTSD. There is little reason to pursue imaging when you must have this testing for a proper rating anyway. In most cases of mild or moderate tbi(the type of tbi at the time of injury), it is N-P testing that proves TBI.

I'm rated 100% for TBI. I've had many CT and MRI scans. There is nothing on them.

and i thank you both for your input! This forum is the only thing that gives me hope on most days! and not give up

Time,

[My post was not meant to discredit you.]

I didn't take it that way either.

Open discussion is how we help each other.

I don't believe I implied that "all" TBI's will show lesions on MRI's/Cat scans. If I did, that wasn't my intention.

TBI is definitely a neurological disorder that causes mental symptoms.

As i've pointed out, white matter lesions are common with TBI's.

All of this is how we understand TBI's and how their diagnosed.

Helping SSG_RW_Brown, his wife and others, is what we're both trying to achieve.

I hope this discussion does just that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Personality changes from TBI can be severe. Who knows how many vets with TBI are in jail today for injuries to area of the brain that controls impluse? My father-in-law had severe TBI. He did not even know his name for six months. He seemed to recover, but his ability to control his impulses was gone. He ended up in prison. This was WWII so they knew nothing about this injury. The main things are treatment and rehabilitatin.

May I ask what symptoms you have that rate you 100% TBI? or is that to personal?

No, it's not too personal. A bit embarressing to me but I talk about it openly.

I was rated under the old rating criteria. DC9304-Dementia due to trauma. My memory is intact however my executive functions are very slow, thus messing up my memory. I have poor verbal abilities. My speach is fine but I simply cannot think fast enough to follow a real time conversation. I take several breaks when writng posts like this. The full scope of my cognative problems would take a while to explain.

I also have some depression and anxiaty. I think the anxiaty is worse than the depression as far as functioning goes.

I have daily headaches and often quite severe migraines. Dizziness, fatigue, my hands and body shake sometimes worse than other times, weakness, nausea, photosenstive, sound sensitive, tinnitus, I have periods of what I call irritation where for no reason everything and anything makes me mad. I know when this is happening but cannot stop it, even though I know I'm mad at nothing I can't stop being mad. And yes, my personality changed.

Keep in mind I did not know I had cognative problems untill I was tested. This turned out to be what got me the rating. I have one rating for cognative disorder, MDD and Anxiaty. I am not rated for my migraines, tinnitus nor do I have a rating for TBI residuals(8045).

It sounds like he may get neuro-psych testing. If not, push for it.

While allot has changed for the better for rating TBI residuals, it is a far from perfect system as far as I'm concerned. Most of the facet's are subjective and are still seriously underrated. About the only objective means we have of a decent rating is with neuro-psych. When undiagnosed I recieved a 20% rating for my symptoms. They are subjective and simply not believed by others if they choose not to, and the VA don't believe. But the tests prove that I was not lieing about my symptoms. So 20% became 100%. That is the difference between subjective and objective. That is why I stress the testing.