VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Foot Surgery

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My podiatrist told me today the only hope for my feet is a surgery to release the main heel cord in my feet. I can hardly walk as it is. I have the pes cavus and this puts too much pressure on the plantar fascia. This is really the last resort for me. I am always telling people not to let anyone operate on their feet and now I am considering it. I am not letting the VA do it if I do it. You have to wear a boot for some weeks. I need it on both feet. If it fails this will be the third failed surgery I have had on various joints. I could get better odds on a heart transplant.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

I don't know what to tell you except I would get the surgery done by someone who does it all the time instead of a Medical Student.

My podiatrist told me today the only hope for my feet is a surgery to release the main heel cord in my feet. I can hardly walk as it is. I have the pes cavus and this puts too much pressure on the plantar fascia. This is really the last resort for me. I am always telling people not to let anyone operate on their feet and now I am considering it. I am not letting the VA do it if I do it. You have to wear a boot for some weeks. I need it on both feet. If it fails this will be the third failed surgery I have had on various joints. I could get better odds on a heart transplant.

I know your pain I have pes cavus that is the main thing I am fixing to file for I wear brace and walk with cain for balance I also hace arthritis to and bone spurs I hope VA treats me right.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Pete is right to get a person who has done many of these operations. They can make a mess of it. They cut about 2/3 of your PF which takes the pressure off your heel. If it works it is great. If it does not work it might be worse. I think it is a one time thing. If they don't get it right the first time just forget it. Some have many surgeries to correct new problems caused by the first surgery. It has gradually made me pretty much immobile over the last few years. I feel cursed.

John:

I don't know what to tell you except I would get the surgery done by someone who does it all the time instead of a Medical Student.

John, this may sound odd, and I am not meaning to keep repeating something in other threads but have you considered an internal spinal cord stimulator? I know mine goes down into both feel (the feeling of it), and it has done wonders in keeping atrophy at bay etc. I don't know if its a practicle answer, but its is a much stronger device than a tens unit (though most poeple compare it to one) and works much much better.

Also its not a one time deal. You get a testing period, and can have it removed if it doesnt help.

Just a thought.

Bob Smith

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been doing reseach for years and hoping my feet would not get worse. The doctors say it is minor surgery, but I know better because the healing can be slow and you are altering the mechanics of your feet. The problem makes itself worse because as you become less mobile you may put on weight which makes it worse which makes you less mobile.........