VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Veterans, Caregivers Must Not Be Left Behind

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASENovember 10, 2009

Disabled Veterans, Caregivers Must Not Be Left Behind

As Veterans Day approaches, the Disabled American Veterans is urging lawmakers to take prompt, decisive action to approve vital legislation that is being held up by a lone Republican Senator. "As the nation honors the service and sacrifice our nation's brave defenders, it is unconscionable that the arbitrary actions of one Senator is preventing consideration of a measure to improve health care to women veterans and provide vital support to family members caring for severely injured veterans," said DAV National Commander Roberto Barrera. The DAV is urging the Senate leadership to take every action necessary to bring the Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act (S. 1963) to the floor for immediate consideration. The Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee has previously approved veterans caregiver and health care legislation with unanimous bipartisan votes. Currently, women make up approximately 15 percent of the active force, are serving in all branches of the military and are eligible for assignment in most military occupational specialties except for direct combat roles. The increase in the number of women serving in the military significantly impacts the services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs, which has been ill-prepared to meet the full range of needs for female patients. The types of injuries suffered by our servicemembers in the global war on extremism and tyranny are in many cases so severe that family members put their lives on hold to care for their loved ones. These family caregivers often face devastating financial and emotional hardships as they help their wounded sons, daughters, husbands and wives. Unfortunately, they do not receive sufficient support services or financial assistance from the government. Approval of S. 1963 would provide an array of vitally needed support services for family caregivers, such as respite care, financial compensation, vocational counseling, basic health care, relationship, marriage and family counseling and mental health care. "Our government has an obligation to provide the support and services that are essential to caregivers while they provide for our disabled veterans, both men and women. The Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act should be voted on and passed without further delay," said Commander Barrera. The 1.2 million-member Disabled American Veterans, a non-profit organization founded in 1920 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1932, represents this nation's disabled veterans. It is dedicated to a single purpose: building better lives for our nation's disabled veterans and their families. For more information, visit the organization's Web site, www.dav.org.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I received this e-mail a little while back about this.

Once again AVBI is asking for your help! I am not asking for much, just a few minutes of your time, and a CALL FOR ACTION that would greatly help our severely wounded veterans and their family caregivers!

A top priority of American Veterans with Brain Injuries (AVBI) is getting desperately needed legislation passed by Congress to provide critical support to family caregivers of severely wounded veterans, those with catastrophic injuries such as severe Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), amputations, Spinal Cord Injury, and other life altering injuries. Respite care, mental health counseling, technical assistance, health care coverage and a modest stipend, can make the difference between a veterans being able to receive the care and services they need in their own homes and communities rather than in institutional or nursing home settings. AVBI is a strong supporter of S. 801 and we know that it would alleviate many of the daily difficulties these families are currently facing.

A strong bipartisan caregiver-assistance bill, S. 801, has been recently approved by the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and is now in the process of being cleared for either floor action or “Unanimous Consent” passage. The “Unanimous Consent” legislative process would put S. 801 on the fast track of potentially being approved and implemented sooner, rather than later. For this to happen it must have the full support of your Senators, however at this time AVBI understands that there is a little hold up.

To read the full text (w/ amendments) of S. 801 follow this link http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-801

ACTION NEEDED:

1) Contact your Senators NOW to let them know how strongly you support the Caregiver and Veterans Health Services Act of 2009 (S. 801) and its supports and stipend for family caregivers.

To do so, please call the US Capitol Switchboard, at 202-224-3121, and ask to speak with the Senator from your state or Use the following link to look up your senator(s) and call directly to their office. http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_info...enators_cfm.cfm

(Below are a few pertinent talking points that may be used, if you so desire.)

2) Contact Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK), a key figure in this process, and respectfully urge him to support movement on the bill. Senator Coburn’s office can be reached at 202- 224-5754.

3) Once you have called, follow up by sending an email or a letter. You can use or adapt the text of a sample letter (below), or click on this link to email the letter directly.

http://www.kintera.org/site/c.ipIJKTOCJsG/...e_Bill_S801.htm

4) Pass this message on to anyone and everyone and encourage them to do the same. Your grassroots action can make the difference!

[Talking Points for Family Caregivers]

As a family caregiver to a wounded veteran I am calling to ask for your immediate support for S. 801. The bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to waive charges for humanitarian care provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs to family members accompanying veterans severely injured after September 11, 2001.

Family members, like me, have left the workforce to become full-time caregivers to their loved ones, America’s severely injured servicemembers. I provide 24/7 care to my ___________ (son, daughter, husband, wife, etc) who suffered _____________ (a traumatic brain injury, severe burns, blindness, amputations, paralysis, etc) on ______________ (date) while in the United States ___________ (Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, Etc.).

I provide the necessary care and support out of love for my __________ (son, daughter, husband, wife, etc); however in doing so, I no longer have financial stability or healthcare to meet my own needs. The passing of S. 801 would be a main component in assuring I can continue to care for my loved one in our home.

I need your support and encourage you to rally behind and pass S. 801.

[Talking Points for Concerned Citizen(s) Supporters]

As a concerned citizen I am calling to ask for your immediate support for S. 801.

I am well aware that many family members are giving up their careers to become full time caregivers to wounded veterans of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. As Americans we owe much to those who give of themselves to serve this Country, we also owe it to the family members who sacrificing to care for our wounded. I stand beside these families and encourage you to do the same by supporting and passing S. 801.

[sample letter:]

Dear Senator/Representative:

I am writing to ask that you help remedy a serious problem facing a relatively small number of veterans who were severely injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of the most grievously injured of those who have sacrificed themselves for this Country, require assistance with the most basic needs of daily living. Loved ones have often left the workforce to become full-time caregivers of our wounded veterans who live with multiple injuries including traumatic brain injury, severe burns, blindness, amputations, and often co-occurring PTSD or depression. These veterans are receiving loving care at home. However, the years-long strain of providing 24/7 care can take a severe emotional, physical, psychological and financial toll on the family unit. There is grave concern that without adequate supports families may be unable to sustain home-caregiving indefinitely.

Veterans’ champions in the Senate and House have recognized the need to provide supports for these family caregivers, and caregiver-assistance legislation has seen important movement in both bodies. Senate Bill 801 (S. 801) has been recently approved by the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and is now in the process of being cleared for either floor action or “Unanimous Consent” passage. I urge that you make enactment of this bill a top legislative priority this year and press your Senate colleagues to act quickly to enact this legislation.

I am very concerned that we not fail these young people and the families who are caring for them. Please support our wounded by urging your leadership to support S. 801 and to make passing this bill top priority in the upcoming weeks.

Sincerely,

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sounds great, but this needs to be added to it. Check it out:

I tried to make a doctor's appointment at the VA hospital on Veterans Day because I am off work. Because it is a Federal holiday, clinics are closed because of the holiday. Of all government offices, those serving Veterans should be open on Veterans Day.

I too have been following this legislation. It was replaced on the calender in position 190. Also there is an article on vawatchdog about this. Apparently a Senator felt that limiting this benefit to post 9/11 vets would be unfair to prior vets. As a post 9/11 vet, who gets 24/7 care (much provided by family members) this is an important legislation for me.

Many are unaware that the VA will ONLY provide 5 hours of in home care a day. This is the MAXIMUM amount the will provide no matter what. I am considered bedridden and I get 2 hours of housemaker service (that house cleaner, meals etc) and 3 hours of home health aid (thats a CNA or orderly assisting me to bath etc.). The VA CANNOT provide more than this though they can pay for some (very limited) care in the evening (2 hours) - which my wife does get paid for but it's for bladder and bowel care only. Now I realize the money here. All I am asking is that they be willing to pay what it would cost for me to be in a nursing home, in a skilled bed. Not one penny more. Yet they dont pay even half of that (and I know the rates).

I have discussed this issue again and again with my social worker, but the VA is really constrained here and this bill would totally change this not only for me but many other vets in the same position. Since it is my choice not to go into a nursing home, I understand them not paying a penny more than that would cost, but the impact on the families is enourmous, and can financially shatter a veteran who is not as lucky or blessed as me.

This is an imprtant piece of legislation that directly affects the care of veterans. Please support it.

I too have been following this legislation. It was replaced on the calender in position 190. Also there is an article on vawatchdog about this. Apparently a Senator felt that limiting this benefit to post 9/11 vets would be unfair to prior vets. As a post 9/11 vet, who gets 24/7 care (much provided by family members) this is an important legislation for me.

Many are unaware that the VA will ONLY provide 5 hours of in home care a day. This is the MAXIMUM amount the will provide no matter what. I am considered bedridden and I get 2 hours of housemaker service (that house cleaner, meals etc) and 3 hours of home health aid (thats a CNA or orderly assisting me to bath etc.). The VA CANNOT provide more than this though they can pay for some (very limited) care in the evening (2 hours) - which my wife does get paid for but it's for bladder and bowel care only. Now I realize the money here. All I am asking is that they be willing to pay what it would cost for me to be in a nursing home, in a skilled bed. Not one penny more. Yet they dont pay even half of that (and I know the rates).

I have discussed this issue again and again with my social worker, but the VA is really constrained here and this bill would totally change this not only for me but many other vets in the same position. Since it is my choice not to go into a nursing home, I understand them not paying a penny more than that would cost, but the impact on the families is enourmous, and can financially shatter a veteran who is not as lucky or blessed as me.

This is an imprtant piece of legislation that directly affects the care of veterans. Please support it.

This is a very convincing post. Thank you.

I feel that limiting this benefit to only post 9/11 veterans is unfair. I separated in Sept 2000 and now require around the clock care due to service connected ALS. Explain to me why because I separated 364 days early that my wife doesn't deserve the same time off as those who separated after 9/11. To limit this benefit to post 9/11 vets only is simply discriminatory. There are tens of thousands of veterans suffering from ALS, TBI and various other conditions that require this type of care. They developed or incurred their conditions while serving. What does the date of service matter? If the bill opens up to support all vets it will have my full support.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
I feel that limiting this benefit to only post 9/11 veterans is unfair. I separated in Sept 2000 and now require around the clock care due to service connected ALS. Explain to me why because I separated 364 days early that my wife doesn't deserve the same time off as those who separated after 9/11. To limit this benefit to post 9/11 vets only is simply discriminatory. There are tens of thousands of veterans suffering from ALS, TBI and various other conditions that require this type of care. They developed or incurred their conditions while serving. What does the date of service matter? If the bill opens up to support all vets it will have my full support.

I didn't read the whole text so I missed out on part of it. I separated in 1995 and agree that limiting this benefit to only post 9/11 veterans is unfair. I currently do not require in-home care, but know plenty of other Veterans probably will eventually.