VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help On Claim

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

I also need help. Recently my private doctor diagnosed me with PTSD/Depression more likely than not from stressors during my enlistment. I have filed a VA claim for PTSD/Depression and currently waiting for a response from the VA. I had some incidents that happened during boot camp and during my enlistment that affected me mentally. I did not go to get evaluated because I was afraid I would be discharged. So there is no medical documentation in my service files. I know that was a mistake. I did write letters to my wife telling her how I was being affected and the nightmares that I was having. Those nightmares continued during my enlistment and I still have them on and off years after my enlistment ended. I also have in my service record where I took an exam for promotion in a job that was different from the one I was doing at the time. I took the exam without the knowledge of the Chief Petty Officer who had been throwing away my transfer requests. I had put in transfer requests because of an incident aboard ship, but did not list the incident as the reason for the transfer requests. My reason for not listing the incident as the cause for the transfer request was because I had been threaten if I let anyone know about the incident.

I have tried to get buddy letters from two former shipmates who I spoke to and also sent them letters to please confirm that the incident happened. I told them no names were needed just confirmation that the incident happened. Both had previously provided buddy letters on another VA claim. Both former shipmates have not responded. It seems that in this claim they just want to leave it in the past, which may be good for them but bad for me.

Anyone have any advice so I can get prepared if the VA flat out denies the claim? Thanks.

68mustang

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

68 mustang, you write that you sent letters to your wife with the info about the occurances...are these dated? Does she still have them and the dated envelopes?...just wondering. It is hard to get witnesses to come forward with direct knowledge sometimes, but without their names the VA will doubt such an existence occurred.

Did you have any changes at this time with your performance reports? Awol? Denied promotions for any reasons? Tell a clergy? Tell a behavioral person/Dr about this, but asked them to "keep it quiet?" Do you have anything that could show you requested transfers? Any copies of anything in your files, that may show personality changes?

Any injuries about that time? Wt gain/loss/sick call records that may show illinesses ie stomach aches, nausea, vomiting?

You say your private dr diag you with PTSD/Depression, based on your testamony of the service occurances. Did you know him prior to your enlistment? So therefore he would note a difference in your personality/attitude/work ethics etc. You are looking for people that CAN validate you changed, which maybe related to an incidence in-service that was traumatic to you. Ever try to do harm to yourself or others at the time. You wrote on 2 separate stressors, 1 in basic and 1 on the ship. What are you currently receiving compensation for? Any way to see a cooralation between that and what you are now claiming?

Others will chime in here as they are more versed, but just wanted to give you somethings to see if may attribute to your claim. :)

Edited by halos2

68 mustang, you write that you sent letters to your wife with the info about the occurances...are these dated? Does she still have them and the dated envelopes?...just wondering. It is hard to get witnesses to come forward with direct knowledge sometimes, but without their names the VA will doubt such an existence occurred.

Did you have any changes at this time with your performance reports? Awol? Denied promotions for any reasons? Tell a clergy? Tell a behavioral person/Dr about this, but asked them to "keep it quiet?" Do you have anything that could show you requested transfers? Any copies of anything in your files, that may show personality changes?

Any injuries about that time? Wt gain/loss/sick call records that may show illinesses ie stomach aches, nausea, vomiting?

You say your private dr diag you with PTSD/Depression, based on your testomony of the service occurances. Did you know him prior to your enlistment? So therefor he would note a difference in your personality/attitude/work ethics etc. You are looking for people that CAN vadidate you changed, which maybe related to an incidence in-service that was traumatic to you. Ever try to do harm to yourself or others at the time. You wrote on 2 separate stressors, 1 in basic and 1 on the ship. What are you currently receiving compensation for? Any way to see a cooralation between that and what you are now claiming?

Other will chime in here as they are more versed, but just wanted to give you somethings to see if may attribute to your claim. :)

Thanks for the response. My wife does have the letters and envelopes and they are dated. I sent in copies of them with my claim for PTSD/Depression. As for any records of the transfer requests the Chief Petty Officer never forward them instead he threw them away in front of me.

I am getting 10% for tinnitus.

Thanks.

68mustang

If you do obtain buddy letters they have to identify themselves and that they was in same unit, same time and place as you were -to be able to give an eye witness account of the stressor putting you there when it happened.

Have you accessed your unit on line to see if anyone else from your unit will help you?

Without PH,CAR or CIB on a DDE 214 the VA needs to have enough info and details to verify a PTSD stressor.

Have you checked out the unit history for anything that would help?

• HadIt.com Elder

Betty (Josephine) could really relate to this since an incident in her Navy basic freaked her out and ended her career. Basic is dangerous to your health. One guy in my basic attemped suicide.