VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Had My Re-evaluation For Tbi

Rate this question

carguy29

Question

Hi to all,

This is my first post here, so sorry for the length.

I recently had my re-evaluation based in the infamous letter announcing the change to DC 8045. When I sent in the form to request the re-evaluation, I got a letter back stating that they would make a decision within 30 days. I thought this was a bit strange as I anticipated actually talking to someone. I got an odd call from MES Solutions on the 30th day informing me of 3 appointments the following week.

The first was a neuropsychological evaluation, which took parts of 2 days, Friday and Monday, since I take an ADHD medication (I was wrongly DX'd by my family doctor with ADHD in 2006 – 6 years after discharge), I had to come back on Monday for the long part. The Neuro-psych Dr told me it was my decision to either take it or not (I did not take it all weekend). The testing on Monday was 4 hours long and the Friday part was 1-1/2 hours. This Dr. was NOT with MES, he was a third party.

The second appointment was about an hour with the MES Dr. (MD) and this was 1-1/2 hours and more testing, mostly balance and muscular testing along with the self-evaluation while reading off of the VA form and he typed in my words (I watched).

The third appointment was a skull x-ray, which the MES Dr. told me was useless since it has been 10 years since I was discharged.

My question is, how long does it take to get the decision back from VA? And… For those with more experience in this process, does it sound like I got fair testing?

I am in Dallas, TX and my regional office is Waco.

I am currently rated (in November 2000) at:

10% - Residuals of Head Injury

10% - Lower back

10% Right Knee

10% Left Knee

Thanks,

Mike

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"The third appointment was a skull x-ray, which the MES Dr. told me was useless since it has been 10 years since I was discharged."

Useless? did he actually give you the X ray? did they give you an MRI too? I dont know if they should have given you MRI-

Have you accessed the entire TBI C & P blank exam sheet?

Hi Berta,

The MES Dr. was a very nice guy and he explained why I have the symptoms I do. I was a Paratrooper and burned in from 150 feet, which was well documented in my service records, so he took the time to explain "things we know now that we didn't know in 1997". He explained that they (MES) has tried to get the VA to pay for MRI's and/or brain scans but the VA will not pay for them. He said the skull x-ray was simply a VA formality in my case, since my 2 head injuries were in 1997 and 1998 and that it would only show something like a calcium buildup but only if I had a skull fracture back then.

I have not accessed the entire TBI C&P blank exam sheet, why do you ask?

The evaluation was thorough. I can't think of anything they missed.

Yes the X-ray and even a MRI would be useless for rating purposes. Mainly because you are already SC and imaging could not address functional impairment.

I don't know how long it will take for a decision.

Good luck, I think you have a good chance at an increase.