VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question

Rate this question

aloneintx

Question

Please forgive me if this is something that is common knowledge or just plain stupid.

I have been home for a little over three years and when i first got home I went to the local VA for help with some issues I was having, such as sleep, nightmares, hearing things etc.

I was unable to see a Dr but went through the initial screening and was put on anti-psychotics. I was very unhappy with this as 1. I dont think i am psychotic & 2. they made me very sleepy and out of it.

After being away from home for so long the last thing I wanted to do was sit on a couch at home and veg out.

I called back and tried to speak with the Dr or assistant but only was able to leave a message.

Long story short the appointment was three months out and I did not want to take those meds while waiting. After that experience I chose not to go back and tried to deal with it on my own.

3 years later I still have not recovered and after a wake up call I decided it was time to get help from a professional.

I do not want to go to back to the VA and have them try to drug me up again and don't really know where to go. I have been having issues with my job with missing work and need to get some help.

Also do i have any protection at my job?

Any input you would share will help.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Disabled veterans and all other disabled Americans have some on the job protections if the employer falls under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)

However that depends on documented disability and other factors.I believe the employer must be fully aware of the disability before the ADA comes into play.

What has the VA diagnosed you with?

Do you have a nexus to your service for the disability?

Have you formally filed a VA claim?

Have you attempted to find someone outside the VA to give you care?

aloneinTx,

You may find some help here.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their family members for military related issues. Veterans have earned these benefits through their service and all are provided at no cost to the veteran or family.

The Department of Veterans Affairs Vet Center program operates a system of 232 community based counseling centers. The Vet Centers are staffed by small multi-disciplinary teams of dedicated providers, many of which are combat veterans themselves. Vet Center staff are available toll free during normal business hours at 1-800-905-4675 (Eastern) and 1-866-496-8838

Here's a list of Vet Centers in Texas:

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.a...LL&STATE=TX

You must understand that just because a doctor prescribes you a drug doesn't mean you MUST take it. If you don't agree with his/her tactics then tell them. I have been on anti-depresents to Benzo's; when I thought they either weren't working or they made it worse, I told them and they were able to try out a few things. Just understand your patient rights and you will be fine. Also, you can request a different doctor if the one you were assigned does not work out for you.

I also see that you don't have a service connected disability, have you filed for this?

aloneintx....good advice from carlie, find the Vet Center near you. It took me 39 years to find a Vet Center and I,m glad I did. Vet's helping Vet's it don't get much better than that. You are entitled to a number of benefits and programs, but you've got to ask about them, they don't come looking for you. I drove around the block about 5 times before I parked and went in.That 800 pound gorilla I've been carrying on my back for so long just would not let go of me...well the weight is still there and probably will always be there to some degree, but the load is getting lighter. I think you will do yourself a world of good by seeking out the Vet Center......just my .02 cents.

Tuna

Your best bet is to go to the VA. I've been dealing with them since July 2008. The VA psychiatrist I've been working with has been very flexible on working with me and my medications. If you tell them flat out that you don't like how they make you feel, I'd immagine that a good doctor would listen and adjust from there. There are a lot of different types of medications and variants within each type. Often time there is an alternative to what was first prescribed to you.

My experience is that things never get better on their own. Get help from the VA and get your issues documented.

Since you mentioned that it's been about three years since you got out you're an OIF/OEF veteran? If so, I recommend going to your local VA and asking for the OIF/OEF representative. They have special case workers to help you sort through the VA and the claims process (or at least point you to the office you need to go to). My OIF/OEF caseworker has been a godsend. The guy is great and really gives a damn.

If your military service is affecting you and your work then you probably have solid ground for a service connected disability rating. From my experience with the rating people, if you have something like a CIB or a CAB or an award with a writen citation about what you did in combat or some direct mention of what you did in writing in combat on something like an NCOER or an OER then you pretty much automatically have service connection for stuff like PTSD (so long as you have no prior recorded mental disorders).

While you still are at work do whatever you can to get documentation from HR or your bosses on how your performance has been lacking or whatever your issues are. Nobody will give you the time of day from your former employment if you get fired.

Personally I've been through what you are going through right now. I was in Iraq in 2004-2005, left the army in 2007, started having issues with PTSD in 2008, and just recently was fired from my job about a month ago because of my PTSD severely interfering with my ability to work. I've been struggling to keep my job for about a year and finally lost it. It's a tough struggle, but stick with it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Alone

You are making the mistake of not demanding care for your condition from the VA. If you let years go by it will make getting compensation harder. You must establish the fact that you are getting continual care from the VA or another mental health care professional. If you have not filed a claim for your mental health problem you have let three years of potential compensation slip through your fingers. You need to get in treatment and document that you have a condition related to your service. I went to the VA one time and did not go back again for 25 years. I did pay for my own care, but it was much cheaper then, and almost impossible to afford now. Vet center is a good idea if they can advocate for you and get you back to see a psychiatrist at the VA. I went to a vet center. The VA ignored the Vet Center's written diagnosis of "chronic and severe PTSD" because the counselor was not a psychiatrist. If you have a dx of PTSD or any other mental health problem file a claim right away.