VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Diagnoses....

Rate this question

TunaOnToast

Question

Hello folks...I'm a 58 year old combat wounded Marine Corps Vietnam (69-70) Vet. I recently had C&P for PTSD and would like to know what this means.

Diagnoses:

Axis I : PTSD; depression not otherwise specified ( secondary to PTSD ).

Axis II : Deferred.

Axis III : See medical history.

This is what is listed in medical history on the evaluation

1. Shoulder pain

2. Angioplasty

3. Hypertension

4. Feet problems requiring orthotics

5. Lower back pain including small radial tear

6. Cervical spinal problems including a bulging disk

Axis IV : Social isolation, unemployed, and familial and martial discord

Axis V : Global assessment of functioning 45/45

Questions

1. Axis II : Deferred...what is deferred,how long is it deferred and who is it deferred too?

2. Axis V : GAF 45/45.....why are there two numbers? I thought it was only a one number score

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The link below will explain what the different axis are and what they mean. In short, the word "deferred" for Axis 2 doesn't mean anything bad for your claim.

http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/f/faq_dsm.htm

I've seen in my C&P as it shows up in my VA medical record that they ask for the GAF twice in the report. Once is what the current GAF is and the other time they want to know what the highest GAF was in the last year. I'd immagine that the GAF 45/45 might mean that your current GAF is 45 and your highest in the last year was 45???? But I'm just guessing and I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps and good luck!

"Deferred" for Axis 2 means that you don't have any other significant psychological issues affecting your PTSD. I had the same thing show up in my C&P and I came out with a 70% PTSD rating (and I had a GAF of 50).

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it means you are going to get either 100% or IU for the PTSD. Have you filed for SSD? How many of the other conditions are service connected. You might be able to get the heart problems service connected to agent orange. This would be another boost to your rating possibly. Do you have ishemic heart disease? Did you have a heart attack. If the heart or the HBP or service connected it would help. I think your PTSD, HBP, and Heart are potential SC conditions. PTSD for sure.

Thanks Victor C3 and john999......I have just recently filed claims for the heart (angioplasty,stable angina,slightly enlarged) HBP and a newly discovered possible Type 2 Diabetes problem which I believe are ALL due to AO exposure...so I'm hoping they end up SC. No I haven't filed for SSD at this time.

Reading the result of many C&Ps

45/45 can mean PTSD GAF 45/ and 45 for the second condition.

the new norm is a GAF for each condition

Or as stated it could be an average of all your GAFs