VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Retro

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

I believe I read in a previous post a few months back, that the NSC pension is deducted from retro and the money goes back to the VA- my question is what happened to the offset money that had been offset with SS /so the combined amount equaled the NSC as it would have been before it was offset? :o

Will they take out the lawyers fees first?

I know the SS retro did-

I am noticing in the decision the $ figures go to 08'

there are 11 months of 09 as well but they arent on there-so I'm assuming they will be taking back the 11 months of 09 NSC and then pay the difference? am I close

Thanks MrsVet

PS; this keeps you busy crunching numbers--have some of you guys gotten different amounts than what your retro was?just curious in case I gotta do the math-in the past they tried to get an overpayment out of us- when the SS retro came in-and I proved that wrong-and it wasnt our fault because it was reported on time in triplicate!!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

They have made errors of thousands of dollars in my original DIC retro and also they sent me some monthly DIC checks for the rate for the wrong year.

It pays to check these retros carefully and ask them for an audit and correction if it doesn't seem right.

I believe I read in a previous post a few months back, that the NSC pension is deducted from retro and the money goes back to the VA- my question is what happened to the offset money that had been offset with SS /so the combined amount equaled the NSC as it would have been before it was offset? :o

Will they take out the lawyers fees first?

I know the SS retro did-

I am noticing in the decision the $ figures go to 08'

there are 11 months of 09 as well but they arent on there-so I'm assuming they will be taking back the 11 months of 09 NSC and then pay the difference? am I close

Thanks MrsVet

PS; this keeps you busy crunching numbers--have some of you guys gotten different amounts than what your retro was?just curious in case I gotta do the math-in the past they tried to get an overpayment out of us- when the SS retro came in-and I proved that wrong-and it wasnt our fault because it was reported on time in triplicate!!

Firstly, yes they will pay the lawyer first. It is mandated that they withhold they lawyer's money. They don't trust the veteran to pay the fees. They will also withhold any pension payments that were made as an offset. This is not taking anything from you, as you have already received payments for that period of time. The amount you received should have been the difference between what you got from SS and the poverty level. Your award level will explain each accounting. It will tell you what each withholding is and why. If you have any question ask for an audit. It will explain on a month by month bases.

Firstly, yes they will pay the lawyer first. It is mandated that they withhold they lawyer's money. They don't trust the veteran to pay the fees. They will also withhold any pension payments that were made as an offset. This is not taking anything from you, as you have already received payments for that period of time. The amount you received should have been the difference between what you got from SS and the poverty level. Your award level will explain each accounting. It will tell you what each withholding is and why. If you have any question ask for an audit. It will explain on a month by month bases.

And when should that letter be here?-they sent the rating with the yearly rates including the increases and just said start date is 12/02 minus any witholdings --and deposit will go in 15days.

They have made errors of thousands of dollars in my original DIC retro and also they sent me some monthly DIC checks for the rate for the wrong year.

It pays to check these retros carefully and ask them for an audit and correction if it doesn't seem right.

Call what# ifthat happens? the one in the decision letter

I just sent them a letter telling them I thought their math was all wrong and why.

One time I filed this as a CUE claim in 1996 but I dont think a CUE claim is really needed at all.

-they responded in 3 weeks with the money.

I just sent them a letter telling them I thought their math was all wrong and why.

One time I filed this as a CUE claim in 1996 but I dont think a CUE claim is really needed at all.

-they responded in 3 weeks with the money.

Berta,

Got the deposit B) after I did the math it was very close by 1000 bucks-! :D :D

now I still need to find out what happened to the ODC was 98'-they went to 02'

and the beat goes on................I'm tired what a day its been