VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Epidural

Rate this topic

:o I am shedule to get a L5-S1 epidural steroid injection. Anyone out there has ever taken one? How was it, did it hurt, how long does the shot takes?

babyray

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The epidurals may or may not take a while depending if they sedate you using a line into your vein. My epidurals hurt sometimes a little, but have done me no good. They do help my private pain doctor make his boat payment. Usually they give you a series of these florescope guided injections. The streroids you get can cause mood swings. Some people get great relief from symptoms for a while. You may be black and blue for a few days. There is not scientific proof these injections help or hurt the vast majority of patients. They are a big source of income for pain doctors.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I have had this done twice by civilian pain management doctors, the most recent was two weeks ago. You will not be able to drive yourself home, so get someone to help you. John999 is right. They work for some people and don't work for others.

First time (2006)

I was awake during the whole thing. DDD was diagnosed initially and had two really bad herniations. I was sat in a small room and changed into the gown. I was told to lean forward and a nurse held onto me. The betadine sponge was cold. The local anesthetic felt like a bee sting for five seconds. The only thing I felt was a bit of liquid running down my back. After about 20 minutes, I was wheelchaired to the car. Went home, still in agony from my discs. The whole thing took about an hour, minus filling out papers. Over a few weeks, things got a bit better.

Second time (2009)

They knocked me out this time. Went to a different hospital where my girlfriend works and she picked the anesthesiologist she likes the most. I preregistered online, so I did not have to fill out a mountain of paperwork. I was in a private room and got on a bed after changing into the gown. A nurse put an IV in my arm. I was wheeled into the operating room. They asked me to roll over onto a funny looking bed. When I was facing down, the bed started changing position so my booty was pointing up in the air. A nurse injected something into my IV and next thing I know, I was in recovery dozing on and off. Then I was back in the private room with my girlfriend. Everything from the waist down tingled and was numb because he also mixed in a narcotic called fentanyl. Eventually my legs woke up. After a while, they gave me some orange juice and eventually asked me to walk around the room. The whole thing took about three hours. Wheelchaired to the car and I slept all the way home. By the time I got home, all the numbness wore off. The next day I was pretty sore, but stayed in bed watching prison break on dvd. The next day after I felt a lot better. I'm two weeks out and feel better than when I went in, but still am sore depending on how I move. If I need another one, I will definitely be going back to the same doc.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Vync

I have had this done twice by civilian pain management doctors, the most recent was two weeks ago. You will not be able to drive yourself home, so get someone to help you. John999 is right. They work for some people and don't work for others.

First time (2006)

I was awake during the whole thing. DDD was diagnosed initially and had two really bad herniations. I was sat in a small room and changed into the gown. I was told to lean forward and a nurse held onto me. The betadine sponge was cold. The local anesthetic felt like a bee sting for five seconds. The only thing I felt was a bit of liquid running down my back. After about 20 minutes, I was wheelchaired to the car. Went home, still in agony from my discs. The whole thing took about an hour, minus filling out papers. Over a few weeks, things got a bit better.

Second time (2009)

They knocked me out this time. Went to a different hospital where my girlfriend works and she picked the anesthesiologist she likes the most. I preregistered online, so I did not have to fill out a mountain of paperwork. I was in a private room and got on a bed after changing into the gown. A nurse put an IV in my arm. I was wheeled into the operating room. They asked me to roll over onto a funny looking bed. When I was facing down, the bed started changing position so my booty was pointing up in the air. A nurse injected something into my IV and next thing I know, I was in recovery dozing on and off. Then I was back in the private room with my girlfriend. Everything from the waist down tingled and was numb because he also mixed in a narcotic called fentanyl. Eventually my legs woke up. After a while, they gave me some orange juice and eventually asked me to walk around the room. The whole thing took about three hours. Wheelchaired to the car and I slept all the way home. By the time I got home, all the numbness wore off. The next day I was pretty sore, but stayed in bed watching prison break on dvd. The next day after I felt a lot better. I'm two weeks out and feel better than when I went in, but still am sore depending on how I move. If I need another one, I will definitely be going back to the same doc.

Hope this helps.

This help, thx alot.

babyray

The epidurals may or may not take a while depending if they sedate you using a line into your vein. My epidurals hurt sometimes a little, but have done me no good. They do help my private pain doctor make his boat payment. Usually they give you a series of these florescope guided injections. The streroids you get can cause mood swings. Some people get great relief from symptoms for a while. You may be black and blue for a few days. There is not scientific proof these injections help or hurt the vast majority of patients. They are a big source of income for pain doctors.

999, tnx alot.

babyray

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Glad to help. My only recommendations are:

- If your doc is not going to knock you out, find one that will.

- Fill out all of the paperwork honestly, especially the part about allergies.

- They will tell you not to eat after a certain time the night before.

- Try to take a dump first thing in the morning before you go. You will thank yourself later.