VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Your Help On Comples Problem Please

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I'm one messed dude these days. Over the last few years I've really gone down hill mentally. Near suicide had me calling the VA for the first time in 40 years. The VA has been good to me.... in fact super to me. I got a lot of help and got it right away. I am in group too with my brothers (and sisters) and I find that good. Still a messed up guy, I ended up locked in the MH ward the Saturday night after Fort Hood... that so messed my head up.

I just got my rating and I have to be thankful again. I had 10% for my wound from years ago, and now they gave me 70% PTSD and 20% for Diabetes II. My total score is now 80%.

I'm older, but still have two teenagers at home, and my wife is a mess. I qualify for retirement, but I can't afford to. I need it all, including the VA disability pay to just make it (I can get rid of some of the 30% interest cc debt I have now).

It appears that I am in good shape to ask for IU. I am having big problems at work. Kind of like the "perfect storm" how that happened as my PTSD worsened.

WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE (but comment on any of this):

I can't afford to quit, and then wait for IU if it takes a long time. I have sick leave saved up (months). Can I go out on sick leave (stress of course) and apply while on sick leave, but not working? I could retire when I got my IU, or if I run out of sick leave before that. I heard you can't ask for IU while working no matter how bad, would being out on sick leave cause of the PTSD be allowed?

Thank you.... thank you........

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, and this is just my opinion, which may be worth as much as I'm being paid for it, but...

IU is for individual unemployability, as in one not being able to work. Your statement says to me that you know you ARE capable of working, and you want to hang onto your job in case your IU ship doesn't sail in. There's a difference between unemployable and just seeking an easy, paid early retirement because you might pull it off.

So, you're really saying that you are not unemployable, if I'm getting this correctly. You simply want the financial and other benefits of a 100% rating that,judging by your own words, you are apparently not truly deserving of or eligible for. Think about it.

Not trying to be mean, I can understand how that extra cash looks so good, but if you can hold down your job until you retire, that is what you probably should do. If you're not capable of doing your job at some point, then your employer or you and your doctors will know it.

So, my short answer; if you're actually unemployable, I wish you luck with your claim. If you can really work, then good luck with that, brother.