VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

I have been out of active duty for 6 months, I am service connected for back and bladder issues. I have been expiriencing some deppression since I am unable to do the physical things I once was able to do. I made a call to the VA and asked if I could file a claim for deppresion secondary to my physical disabilitys. I was told it would be unlikely for me to get anything unless it was in my records while i was on active duty. Well like I said, I did not start expirience this deppression until I got out. I have recently gone to the VA and starting taking deppression meds and I have an appointment with a physc doc soon. Is it possible for me to file for depreesion. I am really overwhelmed with this deppression, I had a fusion and it so limits the things I can do, I am in cronic pain and that is documented.

I was given a tens unit for the pain and ofcourse the meds. Which I am given 120 Vicoden a month, not to mention the flexeral etc. I believe all of these things are a factor for my deppression.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

What was the reason(s) they denied your IU claim. If you have already been seen by the VA for depression they should have diagnosed you and given you a GAF score. Go to the release of information office at the VAMC and get a copy of you latest medical records or progress reports and read them to see what they say.

It pretty much stated that there is no proof that I can not work. They did not change my rating at 80 percent. Since nothing has changed as far as my disablilitys. I have seen a nurse who asked me several questions about my depression , she wrote everything down and set up an appointment for me to speak with a phyc i think. I will get copies.... Thanks

It pretty much stated that there is no proof that I can not work. They did not change my rating at 80 percent.

When did you get that decision? Did you NOD it?

What medical rationale did the VA state that led them to their conclusion?

What proof did they have as evidence-that you COULD work?

Did you get a C & P regarding the TDIU claim?

Do you get SSA disability benefits? If so- what for?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you are hurting that bad, also look into claiming for chronic pain, unless you already have.

Stay on your meds. Don't give up!

It pretty much stated that there is no proof that I can not work. They did not change my rating at 80 percent.

Will answer your questions, will take a bit since there will be alot of writing.. Thank you

Will answer your questions, will take a bit since there will be alot of writing.. Thank you

Berta, I receved the decision on 2OCT09. I did not NOD. My intial decision was given to me on 05JUNE09.

I will write as much as possible about what they said.

We denied entitlment to the 100% rate becuase it wasent shown that you are unable to work as a result of your serviced connected disabilitys.

your claim for bladder dysfunction with polyuria was originally granted at 40 percent disabling in consideration of the use of a pad that needs changed 4 times a day for urinary incontinece, per VA exam. This was effecttive april 16, 2009 the day after your release from active duty. We recieved your request for an increase on July 13,2009.

We reviewed and considered VAMC treatment records. you had a single visit for urination problems. you indicated in may 2009 that you get up every 1-2 hours at night and urinate about every 2 hours during the day. you have never had an urination accident. you have about 5 minutes to get to the restroom if you get the urge to go. you have no problems controlling your bowles. Exam reealed good sensation. the diagnosis was possible LUTS lower urinary tract syptoms neurogenic. you were told to do a urine diary before you start a trial of medication. VAMC records reveal no follow-up. There is no indication on VAMC treatment records that you currently use a pad. No other medical evidence was identified or recieved on your behalf. (I was out of town for some time and could noy make my appointmant)

The evaluation of bladder dysfunction with polyuria, which is currently 40 percent disableing, is continued. Although recent evidence shows some improvement in the condition, sustained improvement has not been definitivly established. there is no indication that you currently use a pad and your urinary frequncey has improved from the VA exam in april 2009 per VAMC records. (I dont understand how they said it has somewhat improved becuase it has not)

If sustained improvement is shown at a future date, should you reopen your claim, then at that time, if the evidence of recoed shows that your disability is still improved, then a reduction in your disability rating of 40 percent can be proposed. however, at this rating decision has continued your evalation with improvment noted, rather than propose to reduce your evaluation the benefit of the doubt is resolved in your favor and this disability is continued at its prevouis rating of 40 percent simply becuase sustained improvment has not been shown.

Like I said I am not sure why they said I have some slight improvement when I did not go back to my next appointment. I recenently went back and the doc is putting me on some meds, first were for bladder spasms with no help as I told the doc, now he is putting me on meds to help with the flow of urine.

Concerning my back issue they just said I do not qualify for an incress since I fall in the 40 percent catagory with no changes.

It goes to indicate that I have not been found unable to secure or follow a suubstantially gainful employment. It also stated That I have not worked since my discharge and that I was not discharged becuase of my disability. It stated I have not tried to obtain gainful employment, I have been on Unemployment since my discharge.. It states that I indicate that my back limits me from standing or sitting in one location for more than 30-60 minutes at a time. However you submitted no medical documentation of any work restrictions.

I went into this not knowing much and the only reason I applied for IU is becuase it was said I should. I have talked with my doctor about my chronic pain and she just gives me vicoden and flexeral, I just recieved a tens unit to assist in the pain as well. She said she would write in her notes about me not able to stand or sit in one area for more than an hour. I have yet got copies but i will asap. So I can apply for deppression secondary to my back and other injurys and chronic pain? Sorry I am still learning how all this works. I got scarred to lose my 80 percent when I recieved that letter. I made a call to a friend who works for the VA. I was told my next appointment for everything is in 2010, she said not to worry. I am back in town now and going to all of my appointments.

Did not get a C&P EXAM

I dont get any SSA OR SSD