VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son Is Turning 18 Still In High School

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

• HadIt.com Elder
VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

Thanks I appreciate it better I tell them now rather than wait until they cut it off and we end up fighting with them to get paid from Feb -May thank you

• HadIt.com Elder
I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.

They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

• HadIt.com Elder
Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.

They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

sounds like you have been thru this all then thanks do you know if any scholarships will affect the benefits from the VA he is supposed to get, or do they send the checks during the school year to him how does the summer work if he goes to summer school do they compensate that or just regular semesters? We are lucky that here in South Carolina he is supposed to get tuition free admittance to any college that is paid for by the state like any of the USC campuses or any other eduation facilities we live like 10 min from USC here in Columbia so he won't have to pay to live in the dorms that will save a ton of money we have a pool house apt so we won't cramp his life style (much anyway)

We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.

Here in MINN. you need to be okayed to take the GED TEST before age 19.

STEVE & PAT

• HadIt.com Elder
We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.

Here in MINN. you need to be okayed to take the GED TEST before age 19.

STEVE & PAT

I don't have a VSO my agent is a lawyer on record so I guess I need to go into the RO myself next week and see what I have to file, it is about 10 minutes from the house I haven't been in to the new office any way lol I haven't been to the RO since the BVA hearing last Feb it has been such a nice peaceful year the first one in a decade oh well my son is worth it thanks