VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son Is Turning 18 Still In High School

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Ya know, I had a wife like that, once.

She did everything she could to keep me from them, and them from me.

That worked until they got mature enough to think for themselves.

One's a doc, the other an RN (married to a doc, a pediatrician, she says he comes in handy at home.........they've got FIVE pedi's.....I tell her that I know what is causing that, and I'm NOT EVEN a doctor...................to which she replies "DAAAAAD!"). I keep encouraging them to keep in touch with their mother, now. B)

Thanks for the laugh I am grateful that I only had kids with wife #2 all 3 are from her, the other 4 marriages had no children I got fixed after I divorced her, the doc that did the snip and burn asked was I sure I wanted to stop being "productive" what would happen if one of the 3 kids I have died wouldn't I want to have another one?

I asked why, they aren't like a set of china you break one and buy another, if something happened to one of them, it's not like they can be recreated and I would just have to hope nothing that bad happens to them but I was allergic to the possibility getting hit with more child support payments Child support 1000 a month cut and burn a one time payment of 400 that is easy math to me 400 once or get drunk make a mistake and get a woman pregnant and damn here comes another child support payment coming no thanks once was enough

obviously I believe in love and marriage I just wish I didn't have to go thru so many to find the "right one" rofl #5 and current one married after I became disabled and had left the post office and without any type of retirement so she stuck with me broke and sick so I know she didn't marry me for my money I didn't have any rofl now that I get SSD and VA I know she ain't leaving ............I am a kept man I keep giving her the checks and she keeps me

• HadIt.com Elder
Naw, TV, they can get as many/much scholarship money as they can, it won't affect the $925 monthly stipend from the VA chap 35 DEA payments.

My son is in his graduate degree program, next semester will be his last, he'll graduate in the spring. He teaches a couple of classes (associate professorship), the college (University of Louisiana) pays him $700 a month for that, plus he has a full academic scholarship (tuition, room and board, books, fees) AND the School of Music also pays him for recording (his degree is in Music Media with a minor in Classical Guitar) the bands/orchestra/etc., so, heck, he's making out like a Champ!

I told him that he's making more money GOING TO SCHOOL than what he'll be able to make when he graduates and that he should just stay there and take his doctorate degree............but, he's kinda tired of going to school he says!

good deal then thanks many young people today think they should be able to move out from home and instantly have the same type lifestyle you provided them they tend to forget we all started out with a 1 or 2 bedroom apt an older car and a low paying job and after time we got a better job, then we bought a new car and now we have payments, then we marry and buy a starter home, then along come the kids and you move from the starter home when they get more of them kids and older 4-6 and buy a bigger home so the kids can have a yard and a good neighborhood so by the time the kids finish school and see us living in the nice old home with all their "normal lifestyle" and they now expect to be able to buy a house like we have and of course keep the car you own that you bought them for high school so they wouldn't wreck your car etc you know the rest

I have a step daughter that seems to have this idea she can graduate from a community college with a LPN degree and make as much as an RN she is nuts.....but she is "smarter" than I am yea right lol

• HadIt.com Elder
We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.

Here in MINN. you need to be okayed to take the GED TEST before age 19.

STEVE & PAT

I think benefits for a school age child still in high school are paid after a veteran completes a Request for Approval of School Attendance form. This benefit is paid at a much higher rate than a child less than 18. The veteran who posted the original question needs to call V.A. about benefits for a school age child and obtain the proper form from V.A. for this. The issue here is just continuation of CHAMPVA benefits for the child beyond age 18 but its also increased compensation to the veteran for a school age child. The veteran can call CHAMPVA at 1-800-733-8387 about what proof of school attendance is needed to continue CHAMPVA benefits beyond age 18.

Edited by deltaj

• HadIt.com Elder
I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

If your son turns 18 in February V.A. will stop his payment. You need to call VARO and ask them to send you a Request for Approval of School Attendance Form so you can get benefits on this school age child beyond 18 until that school age child graduates from high school. Benefits for a school age child beyond age 18 are paid at a much higher rate than normal Additional Compensation for Dependents.

• HadIt.com Elder
If your son turns 18 in February V.A. will stop his payment. You need to call VARO and ask them to send you a Request for Approval of School Attendance Form so you can get benefits on this school age child beyond 18 until that school age child graduates from high school. Benefits for a school age child beyond age 18 are paid at a much higher rate than normal Additional Compensation for Dependents.

thank you I will Monday morning

Could this be something that is back dated? If a child has already graduated, but child turned 18 five months before graduation.