VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing For Increase In Compensation

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

I am scheduled for a C&P evaluation for rating purposes tomorrow at the VARO, Bay Pines, FL. Currently I am at 30% for PTSD. Things have gotten worse and I applied for an increase in compensation. What can I expect- will I be reexamined by another psychiatrist or will I see a hearing officer?

My American Legion rep said it is possible to lose my compensation and I am very afraid I might somehow say the wrong thing.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

doc john,

have you been regularly going to treatment? do you have any letters from fmaily members, noting the differences? been attending group?

the C&P will examine the time from when you were last rated 30% and now. They will go down a predetermined worksheet, which can be found on VA.gov website.

You should write aletter as well, stating the impact it has had on your life and the symptoms you are currently suffereing from.

You might want to get familiar with the schedule for rating mental disabilities criteria. This will be a guide as well as this site.

Good luck

Yes, I see a VA psychiatrist regularly and am on several psychotropic meds and also receive individual counseling at the Vet Center every two weeks.

I didn't know I would need a letter. Thank you for mentioning it. My wife is going with me and will give her testimony if she is allowed to.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you working? I would be surprised if you don't get it raised.

Yes when you ask for an increase they can look at it from scratch and its vaguely possible decide that you don't rate 30% but from your posts that you take meds, see clinicians and are having a difficult time indicate that 30% is a low ball number.

Good Luck

No, I am not working, but I am attending school 1/2 time on Chapter 31, Voc Rehab, benefits. I am struggling to pass. Memory and concentration are poor.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are going to school you should tell VA its rehab so that you can possibly go back to work but that you are not there yet.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice.

Took my wife to the C&P exam today, and it was the best thing I could have done. She was able to fill in the blanks in my memory and tell of her experiences with me. The first time I saw a C&P psychiatrist he took about ten to fifteen minutes to do the exam and I could not or would not tell him everything because PTSD is such a personal thing to deal with. After that I was initially denied compensation.

But, since then, (and after three more exams and a couple of hearings) I have learned to open up and let them have it. My wife made sure no stone was unturned. Now I will await a response on an increase to 50-70% hopefully.

About that vocational rehabilitation training: the VA is paying for my tuition, books and a stipend to attend college, like my GI Bill from way back in the 1970's. All I have to do is pass, but half-time is all the course load I can handle. My counselor and doctor think it is good therapy, and even if I never work in the field I am training for, the college atmosphere has been a good change of pace and scenery.