VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas Unemployment

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gulfvet,

The fastest way to find out is to go to the Texas Workforce Commission web page. But, since this is income that we do not claim as income on our tax returns, my educated guess would be that you should be able to draw it, that is if you qualify like everyone else. I would just apply, you will then find out for sure. Where in Texas are you from? Me, San Antonio.

Papa

Gulfvet,

The fastest way to find out is to go to the Texas Workforce Commission web page. But, since this is income that we do not claim as income on our tax returns, my educated guess would be that you should be able to draw it, that is if you qualify like everyone else. I would just apply, you will then find out for sure. Where in Texas are you from? Me, San Antonio.

Papa

I called the TWC they told me that they have to see how much disability I'll get that they will decide if I can get unemployment. San Antonio here

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the way it usually works with unemployment is when you apply you swear you are able and ready to work. You can't get IU and unemployment from the state at the same time usually. However, since it takes months and maybe years to get IU I would apply for unemployment insurance and appeal if I am denied. Probably half the people that are actually unemployed don't qualify for unemployment insurance. The states hate to hand out unemployment and will often BS you about being qualified. When in doubt....appeal!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you can receive unemployment and also receive VA disability compensation.

The only thing that would hamper you receiving unemployment would be if you were attempting to receive VA TDIU (Total Disability due to Individual UNEMPLOYABILITY), which is tantamount to being rated 100% disabled because you can't work due to your service-connected disability.

But, you can receive, for example, 50% or 30% or 80%, etc., VA disability and still be EMPLOYABLE and still be eligible for UNemployment comp, if you have been working in the past and find yourself UNemployed due to job loss, regardless of your disability.

In other words, just as you can work and get paid for your work, and receive VA compenstion at the same time, for your service-connected disabilities, then you can also receive unemployment compensation from your state for the loss of your income because you are unemployed, REGARDLESS of whether or not you are a disabled vet (with the one exception being TDIU, and the only way you are going to receive TDIU (100%) compensation from the VA is for you to be UNemployable to start with, so you would have NO UNemployment comp coming, because you can't work...........................).

Am I makin' any sense here.....or is my codiene doing the talkin'? (sometimes I can't tell, anymore)

• HadIt.com Elder

You are making sense, Larry. That is the way it works. I was thinking in terms of IU. You can't be honestly claiming IU and also swear you are ready and able to work to get money from the state. The worst they would do is make you pay the state back if you were granted IU while collecting unemployment.